Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Building in Doreen.....

Page 1 of 1
Hello......

Just thought it would be a lovely idea to "meet" everyone who's busy building out in doreen at the moment!

My name is Kirby, Hubby is Glenn and we have a beautiful toddler (almost 16 months now) Texas! He is the world to us.... and the main reason we are moving out to Doreen. Seems like such a great environment to bring up kids in!

We are actually building with JGK homes in Harrisons View part of Doreen. Right near the new town centre and school!

Looking forward to "meeting" and hearing more about you and your families....

Love Kirby
xoxo
Welcome Kirby
I'm just over the road in Mernda. You might want to have a look at wakeboardandy's thread. He's building around you and with the same company (your house plans look very similar too!)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9273&start=0

I hope the rest of your build goes well for you
Hi guys,

I'm sure I've seen you both in other threads. My husband Aaron and I are building in Mitchell's Run, just off Hazel Glen Drive, we border the Laurimar estate. Doreen is such a lovely place, we love the space and the environment. The town centre will be fantastic, and so many schools so close for when we plan to start a family. It's far enough out of the city, but still incredibly close at the same time!

Our land isnt titled until August, but we plan to get the building underway as soon as we can. Our part of the estate doesn't have a road just yet! We're out there every weekend, and there's so much change happening, cannot believe the amount of houses going up. A few years ago we looked at the Promenade, there wasn't a single house up at that stage, we got cold feet and pulled out of buying land at the last second. Kind of glad we did though, as we love our new area much much better.

Looking forward to chatting to you guys more!
Thanks house-to-be..... We are building right near WBA.... and do have a very simular floor plan! We altered ours for the cinema to be my office.... and use the extra room in our bathrooms and WIR for the master! Didn't see the need in having formal lounge, living and a cinema! So i got my Study..... which couldn't have worked out better considering i run a business from home!

Erin..... CONGRATS on your land! It's very exciting! We too are just off Hazel Glenn Drive.... Actually the proposed area for new metr display homes (2 are being built right now) we actually back on to! So that might give you a better idea of where we are!

Bring on August hey...... I bet you guys can't wait!

We were attracted to this area as my Hubby grew up in Ivanhoe and i grew up in Lara (just out of Geelong) on a massive property (our drive way was 3kms long). And we have been living in Glenn's house all this time.... so it was a family home and had to be semi rural... at least to reach a comprimise! Plus it's closer to all the area's they go dirt bike riding! Hubby loves it!

Love Kirby
xoxo
Boys and their toys hey! We've noticed quite a few dirt bikes when we visit our block.

We're in Bellfield now, right next to Ivanhoe. We thought about buying a house in this area, but we would be paying an extra 100-200k more, and getting less land and an older house. Building seemed far more attractive!

We've had it pretty good up until now, my work is on Darebin Road in Thornbury, so it's a 30 minute walk. The drive to and from Doreen will be quite a change, but I'm looking forward to it!

Aaron is a plumber, so if you ever need any work done after you move in just give us a buzz! I'm really looking forward to meeting new people, and this forum is fantastic for that.
We also have a 15month old son, and was one of the main reasons why we loved the area, being so close to the primary school and town centre. When I first looked at our block in August last year, there wasn't even a road in Harrison's View and the town centre hadn't even started. It just shows how quickly things have progressed.

The bridge will basically connect us to MV which will be great as they will also have a town centre, so will be quick access to both town centres.

I'm currently up in Rutherglen at the moment.. so will drop into the house tomorrow to see if anymore work was done on the w'end... I don't expect them to work during easter but as the chippie was behind he may have done some work.

And finally well done to the Hawks today.. we were pathetic and won't beat essendon next week unless something dramatic changes..
Erin.... thanks for that with hubby! We got stung $150 for a tap behind the fridge! We don't know a "good" plumber! So thanks for the tip! And the travelling will be a shock to the system for you! But just think you can listen to matt and jo on the way! They are so funny!

We are currently in a old army house (hubby brought it when he was 20.... and had no plans for a family and is quite the bach pad!) right next to the barracks in Watsonia! So only a 10 mins drive to check on the progress!

Andy..... Glenn and Texy are both Hawthorn members.... i din't realsie they had won (being at work) but they will be both very happy! Texy sees them on the telly and yells "go, go, go karks"(can't quite get the H bit out just yet). Very cute though!

It is amazing how quickly things are moving along out here.... Can't wait..... getting excited now! You guys will be in and settled by the time we move in! They gave us a settlement date of 20th July! I think your may.... from memory! Thats really close now!

Love Kirby
xoxo
Welcome to the area Erin! I'm building in Mernda Villages but once the bridge is done it wont be far at all!
Hey Lisa,

I've been following your blog, and I meant to comment when I read the part about your sister... and the lack of interest. I'm in the same situation, my sister shows very little interest, and it's a bit of a strained relationship at the moment, I was a little tired of it being one sided, so I've stopped making an effort, and haven't heard from her for ages! so I completely understand how you feel!

Kirby... I wont mention that Aaron and I are Cats supporters then...

WBA, drove passed your house today, there were some tradies working on the slab next door to you, looked like they were marking out for the frame.
Hi Kirby! More motorbikes! What does hubby ride? My DS just got his first bike for Christmas. We're building in Wallan, good riding to be had up around there as well.

Here's the tread about DS's bike if you're interested! Maybe not, but hubby might be!:lol:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11110&hilit=kawasaki
aaron4erin
Hey Lisa,

I've been following your blog, and I meant to comment when I read the part about your sister... and the lack of interest. I'm in the same situation, my sister shows very little interest, and it's a bit of a strained relationship at the moment, I was a little tired of it being one sided, so I've stopped making an effort, and haven't heard from her for ages! so I completely understand how you feel!

Funny you mention that, it's been 3 weeks now since I have called and nothing!!!! I found out yesterday though that my Dad's wife (who I've spoken to about this) mentioned something to my sister on Wednesday and today I got an Happy Easter SMS - lets see what happens!

I currently live near where you work and I work in Richmond - the commute is going to be not so pleasant, but coming home to my very own house in an awesome area will always be worth it
joles
Hi Kirby! More motorbikes! What does hubby ride? My DS just got his first bike for Christmas. We're building in Wallan, good riding to be had up around there as well.

Thanks for the link.... hubby will definatly have a read! Glenn has a Suzuki.... I has cuased so many grey hairs.... plus my little son already has the gear for the bike. Just waiting for his god brother to get a new one! They are on a rotating system at the moment! Too much $$$ when they will only get one winter worth of riding off it before they grow up!

I tell you.... he has spent 2 weeks in the Austin with a smashed ankle.... and not to mention the time off work! It was nearly 7 months before he was even able to go back to light duties! I hope your sone has all the gear thats needed. As i'm sure he would have been dead without it!

lisanne
aaron4erin
Hey Lisa,

Funny you girls should mention strained relationships with sisters! Is it only since your exciting building news has arose.... or always been that way????

Glenn's sister is a lovely girl..... but odd in so many ways! We tell her any sort of good news and she cracks it something shocking! engagment, wedding, baby, new house! Each time she hasn't spoken to us for over 6 months! It's almost like she needs the time to come to terms with the fact other people are happy!

But even after this time can be quite bitter and nasty..... for example! when we got engaged.... i had to wait 3 months for my ring as glenn got it desinged and made in europe! When i finally got it (yep.... felt like forever when all you wanna do it flash it around as you do when your newly engaged) she said "you've waited all this time for THAT?" and walked away! Luckliy her mother saw it and repramanded her quick smart. Which i found really funny! A 30+ year old woman getting into trouble for being a brat! Needless to say.... i have now just put all her tantrums down to jelously! Sad..... but very true i think!

Could this be the case with your sister????? Hope things get sorted out soon!

Love Kirby
xoxo
There must be one in every family! Kirby, I think your sister-in-law must have been incredibly jealous with a response like that about your ring. Disapointing though, to try and put a downer on such a special exciting moment. What an amazing man you must have to have got your ring designed in Europe!

There's 10 years between my sister and I. She's the older one, two girls, 12 and 11. Went through a nasty separation 5 years ago with her husband when she found out he was having affairs... with men. Two years of hell, and now they share recipes with his boyfriends, and are back on great terms. Since all this happened she's been very distant with my family, but still makes all the effort to keep up appearances with his family.

I've tried talking to her a number of times, wanted her to be the first to know that I got engaged, she seemed a little excited back then, but as I planned the wedding she started telling me what I could and couldn't do. She's become rude, which she's never been before. My parents are finding it hard to maintain a relationship with her, and my brother the same. She's yet to ask us once how the house plans are coming along or anything like that. We find that she calls, or rathers texts when she wants something, but never to say hi.

What's the age diff with you and your sister Lisa? Has there's always been a bit of a rift in the relationship, or just since you decision to build?
My sister is also older (3 yrs) and she is genuinely happy for me, but I do think she is a bit (subconsciously) jealous but she is just very self centred in general. Don't get me wrong we get along great and she is always there when I really need her, but she just sometimes doesn't listen and rarely goes out of her way to do things if there is no benefit to her - like there was no point asking her to come to the garden show as even though she may have found it fun, it would have been too much effort so I to save disappointment I just went on my own
I had fun though, didn't have to go to stands I wasn't interested in lol!!
Just thought I'd pop in and say hi
My husband and I have bought a block in Eminence, Doreen and are really looking forward to commencing building in the area later this year.

He grew up in the west and I've spent my time in Melbourne in the east (although I'm originally from a small mining town in far west NSW), so when considering where to set up for good in Melbourne we thought we'd head up to the North, and so far, what a wonderful surprise the North has been

We just think getting in now is such a great opportunity with all the development planned. We are just off Painted Hills Drive ( i think that's the right st name), so we should be about a 10min walk to the new town centre in Laurimer

Oh and just on the current topic of 'sisters'...I am on the same page, although my issue is a sister in law who I have stopped talking to about our build. Her and husband (my hubby's bro) built last year and every time I've mentioned anything about the build I've been tut-tutted about anything I think or plan to do/ask. As she only did it 12 months ago she now knows everything about building a home, so I just have to smile and listen like I have no idea how to do this myself
Very frustrating.
Just thought I would say hi!

We are building in Doreen in the Laurimer estate and we expect the slab to be laid this coming week
We are building in the Yangoora Wells release and we will only be arounfd 700metres from the shops going up there.
It is nice to see lots of young people with young families building here just like us!!At least the kids will have others to play with when they are older.

Anyhow nice to read your posts. It will be good to get to 'know' others building in the same area at the same time
Hey guys just thought I would jump in here as well! My partner Steve and I are about to start building in Eminence estate in Doreen. We bought in stage 1 mid last year.. our block is a corner block directly opposit Graffs Park. We have signed contracts with Henley to build the Cooper with a few changes to the floor plan. Just waiting on the bank now to do the valuation and unconditionally approve the loan.

Ont he sister topic. I have 2 sisters both older one nearly 3 years and the other nearly 6 years older. they have both been really good throughout this experience coming to display homes, looking at plans endlessly and giving opions they even call and ask whats happening up at the block and come up for drives even though I could imagine it would be boring to them! One built her house a few years ago so knows what its like and the other bought one last year but they both now want to build new ones after seeing whats out there lol... My future sister in law has been pretty good to she just gets annoyed when my partner doesn't let her know where we are up to...typical male...

Well end my essay hope all goes well for you all and may eventually meet some of you!

Jacinta
Hey Jacinta, your sisters sound like a dream! Trade you any day! Mine is yet to ask a single question about the block or the house... it's been 10 weeks now since we bought the block.
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum