Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Idiots Guide to Self Build?

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I am relocating with my family to Brisbane from the UK later this year. We hope to build our own home and I was hoping someone could let me know if there are any books or other guides that provide a good starter point for people new to self build in Oz with do's and don't and info on regulations etc? Any links or other info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
There is a pile of books out there, but an author I like is George Wilkie who has written "Building Your Own Home" (ISBN 1864367474),
"The Australian House Building Manual"(ISBN 1875217185),
"How To Be A Successful Owner Builder & Renovator"(1875217150),
"The Australian Renovators Manual"(1875217142)
I have the ones above but I think he's written even more. They are around $30-40 He's a good writer and also teaches. Lot's of good pictures and easy to understand.
Good day,

the "The Australian House Building Manual" is a good start but bear in mind that standards are lower and quality of building is often not as good as you might be used too

Take a good look around and if you combine the good things you know from UK building and combine it with the good parts in Oz-building, you will find the perfect solution

regards
Greg
Related
18/11/2023
level the ground with self-levelling or yellow tongue PB boa

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi guys, I want to do some floor levelling before laying the planks and am considering doing it with self-levelling or yellow tongue PB board. I am wondering which one…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum