Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

My house slab is in wrong size

Page 1 of 1
Recently went to check the building progress for our house, and found out the slab is a bit smaller than it should be. It causes one of the posts located at porch doesn't have slab, and frame on one side of the garage is bit out of the slab. We are building with Porter Davis, I thought they shouldn't make such odd mistakes! I asked our SS this morning, he said they will fill up the slab, but didn't say how. (our house got H class slab)
Can anyone tell me if these problems are serious to the structure? How will they fill up the slab??

The floor plan shows where got problems, please refer the red circles.

Side of the garage

Post & beam at front porch
This has happened to a couple of people on here. It can be rectified. They will add concrete and wire reinforcement I think to bond it to the existing slab. Something like that, but it can be fixed. Someone else will be able to explain it better I'm sure.

By the way, what house design is it that you are building? The floorplan is in the old style from the PD brochure and I'm very curious.
Our framing started today and in a few spots it seems to over-hang the slab aswell. I will speak to our SS about it but it's good to hear that it can be rectified.
When it overhangs a little bit it's not a big deal. But when it is quite a bit that's how they do it. I'm trying to find the thread about it... but no luck.

There is an actual tolerance level for overhangs I think. I'm sorry, I'm not helping, I'm just trying to remember it from the thread I can't find.
Thanks joles! You are always the first person who replied my post! Much appreciated!!
According to what you said, the problem seems not that bad.
The floor plan is called Stanford 24 which is still available on the market.
vicky_qj
Thanks joles! You are always the first person to reply my post! Much appreciated!!

How embarrassing!

I'm not on here all the time!!
We have a little bit of frame overhang too, but it is within tolerances (can't remember the figure, and can't be bothered digging out the contract!). It's quite common, and as Joles has said, easily fixed! If they are aware of the problem, I wouldn't worry too much, as they have already said they'll fix it.
It happens all the time. You'd think the concreters would know how to operate a tape measure, but apparently not....

They may have to get the engineers to look at it and advise on what needs to be done. They will probably drill into the existing slab, insert steel rods for reinforcement and then box up and pour the missing section. It isn't usually a big deal, but might take a week or two to organise.

Your frame overhang is possibly within tolerances, but the missing section definitely needs to be rectified.
I think that the biggest problems with such a large overhang are :
1) anchoring - there's precious little concrete to drive the bolts into to fix the frame.
2) damp - the plate's underside is exposed to the air, humidity and water without the protection of a damp proof course, so it should be at least H3 treated, H2 isn't enough.

I'd never accept such an overhang. Matter of fact I'm having my slab fixed tomorrow, by cutting/grinding the edges to square/size and adding to the concrete on one side. I'm passing the corrected dimension to the frame suppliers, so I'll have a good fit (hopefully).

Adding to the slab isn't so simple. By the standards, the addition has to be at least 100mm wide (to make it that wide the slab may have to be cut first), it must be secured by dowels epoxied into the old concrete (my engineer specified N16s every 500mm). Bonding admixture is recommended for the new concrete. If the physical termite barrier has been selected for the house, it needs to be inserted into the joints. All this takes time, costs money, and is a sheety and complex job that the tradies HATE. Took me 3 weeks to find someone to do this for me.

Concretors are HOPELESS!!

BTW, anybody knows what the tolerance for overhang is ?? My frame supplier told me (irritably) that it's 0!!

Chris
I remember reading in a previous post from a few months ago that the tolerance for frame overhang is 10mm but I can't find the post at the moment.
mrsnrub
I remember reading in a previous post from a few months ago that the tolerance for frame overhang is 10mm but I can't find the post at the moment.

Tollerance will depend on what size studs they are using. Houses can technically be built with 75 will studs. However you can not drill into or have any tolerance with this size. So i guess if you use 90mm studs then you can overhang 15mm if you dont not drill an holes in it, or dont plane the studs. Chances are that you will have to do one or the other (holes for cables and or planing to straighten wall). So i would not except more than 10mm in worst case provided 90mm studs are used.
For a 90mm stud the tolerance is 10mm overhang...

75mm stud has no overhang!
Related
1/11/2023
New house colour is wrong!!

General Discussion

welcome to learning that colours vary in different lighting conditions.

17/08/2023
Post submitted in wrong forum

Interior Decorating Lounge

Then delete the original. Dual posting is not allowed.

26/07/2023
Builder used the wrong concrete mix

Building A New House

there is only 20% difference in concrete strength between 20 mpa and 25 mpa, so check with your engineer first if it fits his calculation tolerances. There are ways to…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum