Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Let's Use The Search Button

Page 3 of 4
I don’t want any limitations on people posting in this forum.
Everyone has a right to post when they want.

When I joined the forum, I think I was pretty much the only full time lady poster.
And did I get a ribbing from some of the guys for all the posting I was doing!

They are no longer here, took themselves off to a BIG BOYS forum with no woman!!!!

I remember how intimidating it was, I don’t want anyone to feel intimidated on this forum.
I always put something together before reading the instructions
always.
SuH
I always put something together before reading the instructions
always.

I know why too, because a man wrote the instructions, and for the life of me…..I don’t understand them at all…….(the instructions as well!)
So yes Sue……I do to!
Michelle
BIG BOYS forum with no woman!!!!

What's that forum Michelle? A forum for macho guys?
Michelle

When I joined the forum, I think I was pretty much the only full time lady poster.

They are no longer here, took themselves off to a BIG BOYS forum with no woman!!!!

that wouldn't be a home reno forum would it?
mel
Michelle

Looks like it's a "no comment"
Why not have a section of the forum called "commonly asked topics" where all the thread topics that get constantly repeated can be stickied for new members to browse through? It would also be handy to see all these common threads in one place rather than having to search through the whole forum using what most consider to be a fairly non user friendly search engine tool.

One of the reasons I don't use the search function very much is because it is not very user friendly so I quite often can't find what I'm looking for and I give up.

~ Hels ~
Good idea Hels n greg. I really like your suggestion.

I did a search for grass tree's. You can just imagine how many listings came up.....arhhhhh. Every post and thread tittle that had the word, grass or tree's in it.

I gave up too !!!

I really see the point the admins are making tho, When I join a forum, I usually lurk for ages and read all the old topics, I think some peeps just join and post,
mel
Michelle

thlo
Michelle
BIG BOYS forum with no woman!!!!

What's that forum Michelle? A forum for macho guys?

Sorry…….had my head elsewhere…….

I forget which forum they all went to…..woodworks one????
Quote:
I must admit that nowadays I'm really wary of replying to threads started by people with a low post count (regardless of whether it's been covered before or not), owing to the above.

What's wrong with doing this? Isn't that what this forum is for? Discussion and advice? So what if someone pops in with one question and then goes away. Who cares?

I didn't think Homeone was ONLY for regular posters.
Hels_n_Greg
Why not have a section of the forum called "commonly asked topics" where all the thread topics that get constantly repeated can be stickied for new members to browse through? It would also be handy to see all these common threads in one place rather than having to search through the whole forum using what most consider to be a fairly non user friendly search engine tool.

One of the reasons I don't use the search function very much is because it is not very user friendly so I quite often can't find what I'm looking for and I give up.

~ Hels ~

Great idea!!
Willow
Good idea Hels n greg. I really like your suggestion.

I did a search for grass tree's. You can just imagine how many listings came up.....arhhhhh. Every post and thread tittle that had the word, grass or tree's in it.

I gave up too !!! I really see the point the admins are making tho, When I join a forum, I usually lurk for ages and read all the old topics, I think some peeps just join and post,

When you type in the word you are serching for, underneath there's two options, click on "search for all terms" this can narrow the search down considerably when putting in multiple terms. Also further down on the left there is an option just to display posts rather than threads. This can also narrow it down.

It's not the most user friendly search function though.
Thanks for that Joles xx
-----------------------------------------

Would it be worth the admins having a chat about Hels n gregs idea about the common questions asked area ? Maybe there could be a members vote on it or something...

It may help stop all the repeating of certain topics in a small time frame. Just a suggestion, I don't mind if you poo poo it !!
I just edited my post.... I'd replied in the middle of your quote somehow Willow.
fairy blue
Hels_n_Greg

~ Hels ~

Great idea!!

+1 what a fantastic idea!
It's already here, folks

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5397
Helyn
It's already here, folks

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5397

Excellent
that's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea that post existed...*hiding under the table in embarassment*
Get in quick for a London apartment, Jo, before this post disappears!!
Helyn
Get in quick for a London apartment, Jo, before this post disappears!!

Related
29/05/2023
How I lost $100,000 and why I will never use steel frames

Building A New House

That sucks! Hope it all works out. Good to move away from steel anyway for all your reasons, but it's also thermally poor.

14/06/2023
What anchor/screw to use to mount to villaboard>airgap>brick

Bathrooms and Laundry

If what you describe is correct then the brick wall has been dry lined with villa board. That basically means that the villa board is glued to the brick wall with…

17/06/2023
Right sand to use?

Paving & Concreting

I'm putting a new floor in my kitchen, slate flagging on a standard concrete slab. I have allowed for a bed thickness of up to 20mm to accommodate the different…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum