Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Tile v's tin roof

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum - there are aot of helpful opinions so I thought I'd give it a go.
We are about to start planning our house renos on our Californian Bungalow - extending out as well as adding a 2nd story loft style room. My hubby & I are arguing over what roof type to use. We currently have a tiled roof & I would prefer to keep that, but hubby is concerned about the weight of a tiled roof on the extension (& added costs) & is wanting to replace the entire roof with tin.
What's everyone's opinion on this & does anyone have any ideas on costs of tin v's tiles & the kind of support each needs?
Thanks
to replace your whole roof with tin wont be your cheapest option.
A single storey house has always overdimensioned (built) to take the weight of an additional (future) storey so you have nothing to worry about.
edit
A californian bungalow will look silly with a tin roof
do-it-dog

I disagree
TIN
ADVANTAGES; lightweight, avail in range of colours, quicker to install, long lasting
DISADVANTAGES; dented easily, noise, poor thermal quality, replacement will require entire panel, leaking with incompatibile materials ie. fasterners

TILE
ADVANTAGES; Strong and sturdy, better thermal quality, easier to replace damage tile, less noise during rain/hail
DISADVANTAGES; Heavy, more time consuming to install,
do-it-dog

In your humble opinion....

I like "tin" roofing...however, Californian bungalows (one of my favorite period homes) in traditional form has terracotta shingles and later examples terracotta tiles. So depends if you are renovating to keep true to the California bungalow" style.

http://www.archicentre.com.au/californianbungalow.pdf
http://www.periodhomerenovator.com/asse ... _Guide.pdf

As to which is better - tin or tile....there's plenty of threads on the forum that go into hysterionics in either direction.

As an aside I sometimes wonder what this period will be known as...."The Couldn't Make Up Their Minds Era"...?
ken007
TIN
ADVANTAGES; lightweight, avail in range of colours, quicker to install, long lasting
DISADVANTAGES; dented easily, noise, poor thermal quality, replacement will require entire panel, leaking with incompatibile materials ie. fasterners

TILE
ADVANTAGES; Strong and sturdy, better thermal quality, easier to replace damage tile, less noise during rain/hail

It depends where you are. In Perth, a tin (or Colorbond) roof is good because it doesn't store heat, so in the summer, when it cools down at night, the heat trapped in the roof space leaves faster than with tiles, allowing the house to cool down approximately (depending in the house size) 5 hours earlier. When I covered thermodynamics at uni, in terms of roofing in Perth, a tin roof with sarking and r4.0 insulation is the best option all year round. But say in Augusta/Albany, tiles is much better as it doesn't get hot enough in the summer to be overly concerned about cooling, so the storage of heat in roof tiles is good.
do-it-dog

Disagree. But it does depend on where you are. In Victoria most Californian Bungalows have a tiled roof, but in SA they mostly were built with iron.
Can I say that I am really looking forward to having a tin roof so that I can listen to the rain at night. At the moment I have tiles and wouldn't even know it was raining!

The sound of rain on a roof is very relaxing.

Also working in SES I have been to a lot of leaking tile roofs (older tiles I guess), but hardly ever got calls to tin roofs.

If I had a choice I would probably go tin, but in your case not sure what might be best.
ken007
TIN

TILE

Strong and sturdy? Not if you live in an area prone to hail storms. We had a pretty good one where I live a few months ago, and the people with tile roofs were wishing they had colorbond.

Another disadvantage of course is the security threat. They are an easy access option into your house.
We are in the same boat at the moment, trying to decide which way to go. Today I got a quote for colorbond and it is about $7k less than bristile tiles. I think I know which way to go now. Although I like the look of tiles better (with face brick rather than render)...
mrs_smith
ken007
TIN

TILE

It depends where you are. In Perth, a tin (or Colorbond) roof is good because it doesn't store heat, so in the summer, when it cools down at night, the heat trapped in the roof space leaves faster than with tiles, allowing the house to cool down approximately (depending in the house size) 5 hours earlier. When I covered thermodynamics at uni, in terms of roofing in Perth, a tin roof with sarking and r4.0 insulation is the best option all year round. But say in Augusta/Albany, tiles is much better as it doesn't get hot enough in the summer to be overly concerned about cooling, so the storage of heat in roof tiles is good.

yes you have a point, colour is also critical
Quote:
Can I say that I am really looking forward to having a tin roof so that I can listen to the rain at night.

Oh yes, if we ever get any rain to listen to !!!
fitnhealthy
Can I say that I am really looking forward to having a tin roof so that I can listen to the rain at night. At the moment I have tiles and wouldn't even know it was raining!

I totally agree!! this is why I'm quite looking forward to when I build my pergola - it will be colorbond and laserlight type combination
lisanne
fitnhealthy

I totally agree!! this is why I'm quite looking forward to when I build my pergola - it will be colorbond and laserlight type combination

Wow thats the next best thing sitting on the pergola, coffee in hand relaxing in the warm weather with rain pouring. Sure doesn't happen much in SA

What does rain look like? I get excited everytime I see rain
Our back extension has a colorbond roof with laserlite side panels for privacy. The rest of the house has a tiled roof. When it rains, all of us prefer to be in the extension rather than anywhere else. We're lucky in that our bedroom is right next to the extension so we can lie in bed at night listening to the rain on the tin roof.

But back to the original question.

We have a white tiled roof that we tossed around the idea of replacing it with a colorbond one a few years ago. We even went to the extent of getting quotes. We then got a quote for replacing the tiles with new style/colour tiles and also get the original tiles cleaned and coloured. The quotes all came out around the same give or take a few hundred dollars (we're talking in the vicinity of four thousand from memory).

As for what to do in your situation, I would at first get someone to assess the condition of your tiles. If there is nothing wrong with them then I would be inclined to just stick with them as you don't need what would be an unnecessary additional expense of this size. If the tiles are in bad condition then you will have no choice but to replace them before embarking on the second storey. Whether you decide tiled or tin then would be something to discuss with your builder I would think.

Cheers,
Helen.
I would suggest looking at the other houses in the street / area. In my view its important that your house doesnt look out of place or unusual in its surrounding. If all the cal bungs on your street are tile, a tin roof will lower the value. Simple as that.

Here are some design guides.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... opic=10778
Related
8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

24/07/2023
Firstyle Tile Selection

General Discussion

Hi Kaiser85, We are building with Firstyle Homes. Our build has just started, slab pour is on Saturday (hopefully!). Their standard range is pretty good. We did our…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum