Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Extensions - Cost

Page 1 of 1
Morning All,

I am curious about the cost of extending your existing house to a double story house.

Has anyone extended and if so, what did you get done and what was the ball park figure?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hi and welcome to the HomeOne forums!

Costs for extensions and renovations are virtually impossible to price on a ball park rate but years ago I wrote a small visual basic program to do just that but I never really finished it but the principles of it remain solid today.

To start with, perhaps use the following guide:

Drawings, engineering, permits etc: $7K - $15K
Bathrooms: $15K - $30K each
Kitchens: $20K - $40K each
Stair and Stairwell: $8K - 25K each (indludes mods downstairs to make it fit)
General construction (bedrooms, roof, walls etc); $1500/m2 - $2000/m2+
Connection to Existing for Upper Storey: $15K - 25K

Therefore, if you wanted to add 60m2 upstairs (2 bed, living, stairwell) plus a bathroom you could budget on:

Drawings and permits: $10,000
60m2 x $1800/m2 = $108,000
Bathroom: $20,000
Stairs: $15,000
Connection: $20,000

This adds up to $173K which would be reasonable based on my experience doing these in the past.

Of course, as soon as you start adding major renovations downstairs then you will start to add significant additional cost. As yet, no ballpark calculator but this is a major reason why extension costs escalate rapidly as if there is a significant amount of renovation as well then your budget will quickly climb to $250K plus.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM or email me if you need any additional information.
Related
28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum