Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Architraves around windows and doors OR square edge plaster?

Page 1 of 3
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ VOTE - VOTE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hi
We are designing our new product range and I wondered if some members would care to share opinions.

An architrave is fitted around windows and doors to cover the gap between the reveal (timber frame around the window) and the plaster.

Many new style homes avoid architraves and finish the plaster directly to the window giving a sharper square edge corner with no frills.

So... can you tell me your preferences please?

Thanks in advance....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit...
Thanks people - please don't forget to vote... $50 Myer Voucher to best reply received (in my opinion ) by midnight 17th January (to give holiday people a chance).

Ed
I prefer to have the architrave. The plaster only may look slicker, but I think over time would get chips and nicks and look terrible, especially with kids.
So for practical reasons, I like the architrave.
I prefer architraves on both, you don't need kids to knock and chip stuff, DH's are good at that as well.
We have a couple of square set doorways inside, they look good without but I wouldn't want it all the way through.
Thanks people - please don't forget to vote... Ed
I voted "I prefer a square edge plaster finish on windows and doors"

I like the clean square look which extends to square set ceilings. To me, a house should have clean minimalist lines. Let the furniture, which is easier to change, do the theme.

I won't be having reveals on my windows, but then I'm going for cement rendered brick interior walls, which lent themselves to no reveals.

Now, if I had plaster, I would like the look, but would be concerned about how easily the edges can be dented. That is, I like the look, but have some (small) concern about the durability.

Moving onto doors, I would love no architrave and skirting boards, but since I'm having timber floors, I'll need the least the skirting boards. I'm not sure if I need door architraves if I have skirting boards, but it would be nice if the skirting was bevelled and no architraves.

I like the clean minimalist look. And it appears very popular these days. It should also age less since it's so .... uuhm ... minimalist.

As I've said, I like the furniture, window covering etc to create the theme against a plain backdrop. It's a lot easier to change your paint colour, window dressing or furniture than it is to change your skirting boards, window reveals , ceiling cornices and door architraves.
Our current house in Adelaide is faux blue stone semi-detached.

I was initially attracted to the fancy mouldings e.g. cornices, architraves, skirting boards, ceiling roses.

This look is still popular in the older neighbourhood we live in (and even in the newer housing developments).

However, they are all big dust catchers. All of these features are a carry-over to a time when plastering systems weren't as refined and were used to hide imperfections. Ceiling roses covered vents for fireplace exhausts.

Our new house has cleaner lines and squared edged reveals.
No architraves, thanks.
I do like the square edge look, but...

I think it comes down to long term maintenance. How pratical will square set be on windows and doors... Little hands and toys do so much damage.

One thing that I'm not sure of is how the room would tie together with square set windows and doors... What happens with the wall skirting? How the skirting looks in a room by itself is one thing I'm yet to see in real life, and how it finishs at door? (It may just be mitred at 45)...

For many skirting and architraves are a trim, and break up a room.

There are a few companies already offering square set doors and window "reveals" and the pictures I've scene look great.

I'd really like to see the product, and to see the long term performance before making a final decision though.

I think the square edge will be more a commericial "edge" factor rather than residential...

Another point will be the cost variation of the window system, and the resulting cost analysis of the additioanl finishing of plaster vs architrave installation and painting...

I like the idea, just not sure of the practicalities of it...
chuth77

Another point will be the cost variation of the window system, and the resulting cost analysis of the additioanl finishing of plaster vs architrave installation and painting...

I like the idea, just not sure of the practicalities of it...

Thanks Chuth77

The cost should be lower. No architraves, no painting architraves, plaster returned into aluminium pocket on door/window so no edging required.

I would expect that the corners will be durable and easily repaired, other corners don't seem to suffer too much. Architraves also need touch-ups.

Ed
Agree in principle with the costing, but in reality, how does the plasterer view it? I think they'll see it as extra finicky work... I know as a DIY plasterer I do, but I'm by no means a professional...

One other thing I'd like to see is how it stands up the movement. Typically architraves can "hide" the slight movement of house frame and windows by allowing the crack to develop along the plaster/architrave join. Something which the casual glance won't see. Will square set be more susceptible to cracking around the window in the plaster?

Would the reveal be aluminium?

Again love the idea, and if it works out to be more cost effective I'm all for it!
Builders tell me it will be lower cost even including the plasterer.

Deep products like stacker doors will have aluminium returns, less deep would have a plaster reveal.

No idea about the frequency of cracking... but I would think you have to fill the gaps around architraves anyway with movement.

Ed
I guess then the diffiuclty will be painting the reveal?

Do you have any sketches of the section? Or is it too early pending patents etc?
I vote for architraves but then I would - I'm not a fan of the ultra modern look

I love old houses with high ceilings, decorative fire places, and ornate ceiling roses - sure, like many things, they originally had a mundane function but have developed into a feature in their own right.
I'd say architraves look better, to me its like framing a picture,, plus I got a quote recenlty from the plasterers and to have them square it all off cost about $2k more,, unsure how much the architraves cost though.

I reckon it gives the window frame a bit more structure too.
I like the modern look however when I build a house i try to think of how it will look in the long term. I belive architraves are a more solid finish.
To me they are more than just cosmetic. To me they do the following.

1. Hold plaster to wall and make door frames stiffer and stronger. architraves allow nails and fixing to be installed perpendicular to the forces of the door weight making door jambs harder to pull away over time.

2. Windows they make the reveals stronger. If kids climb on the reveal the reveal is less likely to be pushed down, especially if the carpenter hasnt put enough packers/support under the window reveal.

3. Expansion and contraction. No two materials expand and conctract at the same rate. So like mentioned before this will be prone to cracking.

4. architraves hide errors and in perfections. Say for example that during the build the reveals have warped a little. architraves give you the opportunity to push the reveal into position and then fix with a nail gun through the architraves.

5. Regarding price you can not ask a build how much for a new product. To reduce cost you need to reduce time overall and future maintence. You should be getting the installers involved and asking them for price. Builders are only project managers and business operators, for new poducts they can only guess. In Aust labour expensive, if you can reduce labour some how you are doing well.

6., From what is talked about painters are the only people to save time.

Also if you dont have architraves will you have skirting?? if you still have skirting how do you finish this off when they meet the door jambs???
chuth77
I guess then the diffiuclty will be painting the reveal?

Do you have any sketches of the section? Or is it too early pending patents etc?

When the reveal is aluminium it will be as a component of the door so will look right. When it is a plaster return it will be the same as a plaster wall.

Too soon for sketches but looking at the responses we may need to keep the traditional timber and have the plaster as well.

Ed
borg
I like the modern look however when I build a house i try to think of how it will look in the long term. I belive architraves are a more solid finish.
To me they are more than just cosmetic. To me they do the following.

1. Hold plaster to wall and make door frames stiffer and stronger. architraves allow nails and fixing to be installed perpendicular to the forces of the door weight making door jambs harder to pull away over time.

The house frame supports the door or window, the architraves are really just for cosmetics.

borg

2. Windows they make the reveals stronger. If kids climb on the reveal the reveal is less likely to be pushed down, especially if the carpenter hasnt put enough packers/support under the window reveal.

The plaster would require packing probably more than the reveal. The windows would be attached to the framework directly rather than nailed through the reveal. The windows and doors would actually be more secure by being attached directly to the frame. Traditionally windows are attached to reveals with staples and these are the structural fastening for the windows and doors.

borg

3. Expansion and contraction. No two materials expand and conctract at the same rate. So like mentioned before this will be prone to cracking.

The plaster would be returned into a pocket allowing it and the aluminium to move independently.

borg

4. architraves hide errors and in perfections. Say for example that during the build the reveals have warped a little. architraves give you the opportunity to push the reveal into position and then fix with a nail gun through the architraves.

You won't be able to "push the reveals" if the reveals have been properly packed as they should be. Plaster reveals and good timber reveals won't warp.

borg

5. Regarding price you can not ask a build how much for a new product. To reduce cost you need to reduce time overall and future maintence. You should be getting the installers involved and asking them for price. Builders are only project managers and business operators, for new poducts they can only guess. In Aust labour expensive, if you can reduce labour some how you are doing well.

Already organised on this one, we have a lot of good advice from our customers.

borg
6., From what is talked about painters are the only people to save time.

Also if you dont have architraves will you have skirting?? if you still have skirting how do you finish this off when they meet the door jambs???

There are a lot of savings on plastering and painting - homework already done.

Yes skirting is an issue but square cut or mitre would seem to be OK.

Thanks
Ed
Well this is unfair
…..I put a vote just for fun… I have no idea what you are on about, get real...

But now the poll won’t let me vote again.

Ok my view is this.

1) Depends on the style and age of the home as weather I would like to see archs.
2) I prefer archs around doors, but depending on the window and it purpose, I like to see the decretive windows with NO archs.

Hi EcoClassic
Are you able to post a picture of what it would look like...not the one you are designing but a window that is square set?

I picked the architrave option only because I know what it looks like. The no architrave option sounds very expensive (although it’s not apparently) and would not pay thousands dollars more for a look that I don’t really know anything about? That is just my first initial response to the survey. However....if I had a picture to compare it to a window or door with architraves then I might likely to pick the seamless option.

I think it also depends on the style of housing you are building. I was 'semi' aware of the no architrave look but was told that is was a hassle, relied on master trdesman to get it just right and expensive. If you could provide a product that was neither any of the above, then I would have considered it.

Mrs B
Mrs B
Hi EcoClassic
Are you able to post a picture of what it would look like...not the one you are designing but a window that is square set?

I picked the architrave option only because I know what it looks like. The no architrave option sounds very expensive (although it’s not apparently) and would not pay thousands dollars more for a look that I don’t really know anything about? That is just my first initial response to the survey. However....if I had a picture to compare it to a window or door with architraves then I might likely to pick the seamless option.

I think it also depends on the style of housing you are building. I was 'semi' aware of the no architrave look but was told that is was a hassle, relied on master trdesman to get it just right and expensive. If you could provide a product that was neither any of the above, then I would have considered it.

Mrs B

Pics? Hmmm, should have thought of that...
I will see what I can find and get back...
Related
11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

28/10/2023
Architraves and skirtings

General Discussion

I already have the doors and architraves installed as pictured. My question is which size n type of skirting would go with the architraves? I originally wanted a winder,…

24/08/2023
Architraves

Owner Builder Forum

I do like the CA glue and activator idea but like you said, working time in non existent. I use the sika PU glue but it needs to be clamped firm. I had a joint move…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum