Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Brimbank Gardens, Derrimut VIC

Page 27 of 50
Does anyone have a good fencing contact for their boundary fences? They have rung around but are having trouble finding someone reliable
[/quote]
Hey haywgl, did they get the free fencing promo through PEET? I can give you the details... unless they were not looking at going through that contractor[/quote]

Hi Flaggstaff
Could you PM the fencing details too!!!!!

Thanks
Pm'ed you the bloke that did mine. Probably average in price but his work is good.
bobes
Hi reaver

Cheers for that but more than a dozen have applied in stage 33 and all getting the same run around and telstra are pointing the finger at civil works which is hard to believe otherwise how did land titles get signed off ?? they wouldnt have so it makes sence .

Check the footpath and see if there is a Telstra pit. If there is, then it is highly likely that there are telephone cables running underneath it. If it were up to me, I would call Vision Stream to get the trenching done if you haven't. The generally have maps of the area that they service and will know if there are cables or not.
The cables are there... we've had a trench dug ourselves... The problem is that there is no infrastructure between the main port and stage 33.

What Telstra have told me is that the because of the "National Broadband Network" the Government is still deciding whether or not copper or fibre optic cables will be put in.

I was then informed by a Telstra Rep. that fibre cables would be laid some time in the next few months... But I am yet to get any confirmation of this.

Edit to add:

Looks like we're not the only one's that have been affected...

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14666&start=1220

Quote:
“Telstra has ceased the rollout of copper infrastructure in anticipation of fibre infrastructure being installed as part of the Federal Government’s National Broadband Network (NBN) program. This has been a commercial decision by Telstra and not implemented by Cedar Woods. Telstra still has a universal service obligation to their customers and will provide you with wireless phone services in the interim until fibre is installed. Please call Telstra for further information.”

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/conroy-urges-telstra-to-keep-copper-lines-20100525-w99q.html

http://www.nbnco.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/2d4a8e80439fde488b12ffc5166da634/Coverage+-+Victoria.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
i emailed Peet also to let them that a lot of us are affected with the current situation and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting the Peet Community Information Line.

We have been in contact with Telstra regarding telephone and internet connection for Stage 33 at Brimbank Gardens as Peet has installed all the necessary conduits for Stage 33, as required by Telstra. However Telstra has not yet activated Stage 33 as the supply will come from Stage 37. Again Peet has installed all the necessary conduits for Stage 37 and has been issued with the Statement of Compliance for this stage. So both Stages 33 and 37 have been completed by Peet and are awaiting Telstra to complete works.

The project team has contacted Telstra to request a date for completion; however Telstra would not commit to date. On behalf of yourself and the other residents the project team has requested that Telstra attend to the required works as a matter of priority.
pac-manny
i emailed Peet also to let them that a lot of us are affected with the current situation and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting the Peet Community Information Line.

We have been in contact with Telstra regarding telephone and internet connection for Stage 33 at Brimbank Gardens as Peet has installed all the necessary conduits for Stage 33, as required by Telstra. However Telstra has not yet activated Stage 33 as the supply will come from Stage 37. Again Peet has installed all the necessary conduits for Stage 37 and has been issued with the Statement of Compliance for this stage. So both Stages 33 and 37 have been completed by Peet and are awaiting Telstra to complete works.

The project team has contacted Telstra to request a date for completion; however Telstra would not commit to date. On behalf of yourself and the other residents the project team has requested that Telstra attend to the required works as a matter of priority.

Hey Pac

I got this email yesterday just like u said pac manny just havent been able to post it so it all comes down to telstra !

Either way its very annoying you cant get a phone connected to a new home so ill be on the phone to telstra again , the way i see it if we all complain then someone will be heard and somthing will get done so i know ill spend a good half hour on the phone later trying to get anwsers . Wish me luck !
Aparently the works to activate stage 33 have been postponed on 2 occasions due to stage 37 not being ready so the next date is Feb - 18 and everyone who has tried to connect a phone line are in the system , i have a pending order with a job number on it also so we must just wait . I was in contact with not only telstra but vision stream and they finally coughed up info .

Hope this helps guys i know its better than chasing rainbows thinking it might happen .. at least we have a date to work off ...
thanks bobes....does that mean that we will need to call them after Feb 18?

Which internet company did you applied before?

I have applied with TPG, Telstra and Internode
Yes i think so , apply after feb 18th . I have tried with internode but might go with telstra they offer a significant more data allowance for 5 bucks more
I noticed that most of the display homes at Windsor Blvd near Robinson road are being cleaned out. Anyone know if the builders sold or are planning to sell them?
reaver
I noticed that most of the display homes at Windsor Blvd near Robinson road are being cleaned out. Anyone know if the builders sold or are planning to sell them?

They usually sell them about a month or two after opening them to the public. In the PD cases, they were sold around Mar-Apr 2009 I believe. They lease them to investors at a rate of about 7 or 8%pa and when the lease is up hand them back.

For example:

http://porterdavis.com.au/#/displaysales
http://www.metricon.com.au/melbourne/ho ... s-for-sale
http://urbanedge.net.au/pdf/display_hom ... v6_web.pdf
I've heard a lot of bad things about buying display homes.

First was about a fella (on Homeone) who bought a display home with a pergola in the backyard. The fella didn't ask for proof of building permit for the pergola and ended up receivinga letter from the council. He had to rip it down as a result. So if anything, the buyer has to be weary about suchthings.

Second is the building integraty of the house. I know a structural engineer that works for a firm that does structural designing for big building firms. They firm has been asked by builders to "beef" up the structural integrity specifically for display home because they have had a bucket load of maintanence issues. So in theory, display homes built later would be better to buy then the current run of display homes.

The old PEET building has new occupants. Did anyone see the grass "taken" as you turn left at theroundabout going down Westminster Parkway? Looks like someone had fun.
Adam.M
I've heard a lot of bad things about buying display homes.

So in theory, display homes built later would be better to buy then the current run of display homes.

I can understand this from a basic design point of view. Most display homes are the newest designs, which means they designed on paper, but not yet in practice. It isn't until they build a few that they realise the mistakes in the design and alter them slightly for the later ones. Some designs are based on older ones, but there can be times when even small alterations to the position room here or there can change the roofline dramatically which changes the fall of water etc. This can have an effect on the structural behaviour of the house.
Just wondering who's responsibility it is to put grass on our nature strip? I just called up council and they said it our responsibility? Or should it be Peet? Do I need to call Peet for this?
joeygbh
They usually sell them about a month or two after opening them to the public. In the PD cases, they were sold around Mar-Apr 2009 I believe. They lease them to investors at a rate of about 7 or 8%pa and when the lease is up hand them back.

For example:

http://porterdavis.com.au/#/displaysales
http://www.metricon.com.au/melbourne/ho ... s-for-sale
http://urbanedge.net.au/pdf/display_hom ... v6_web.pdf

Thanks for that. Should have bought 2 lots when the prices were low.
Edward
Just wondering who's responsibility it is to put grass on our nature strip? I just called up council and they said it our responsibility? Or should it be Peet? Do I need to call Peet for this?

PEET has a contractor going around installing grass. The rule is that the contractor will lay grass only if your front yard is landscaped. I don't think you even need your house to be completed.

All in all, don't bother ringing PEET, they will just tell you that your front yard will eventually be done, like they said to me.
Thanks for the info.

Cheers
reaver

Thanks for that. Should have bought 2 lots when the prices were low.

2 lots? As in two properties? What most people will tell you from an investment point of view is that display homes tend to be in the upper end of the price bracket (i.e. not cheap) within a suburb due to over capitalisation of the house compared to the land value. From a company/sales point of view this is not an issue because they can just write it off tax wise but for smaller investors it makes selling harder later on and the rent you will get afterwards will never be as high or comparable to the value of the home.

Display homes are generally better suited only if you are going to move in yourself and like it the way it is. As investment properties you can get better value elsewhere. One of the things you might want to look into instead is when new estates go up they also lease out the carparks. You can get information about the new estates from the head offices of the respective companies - e.g. Peet Limited, Stockland etc. The investment level is lower, and since you are earning money off the land, you can negatively gear it. In a popular estate you can sell the land fairly quickly and make a quick buck (after about 2 years) as the leasing price usually covers the interest rate at the time.

Of the two carparks next door to the ex-sales office that went up for sale recently, one had a sold sticker on it the next day after the board went up, and the other has it's sign up for about a week now, but apparently is under contract already. I know those lots were offered at ~165k in Jun 2008 with a 7% 3 year lease. Based on recent known sales, the price would be ~$320k today.

Update: Price for the contracted property indicated at about ~310k. So land in the area is about $510/m2 now up from $270/m2 two and a half years ago.
Great insights there Joey. What I meant was I should have bought 2 vacant lots back in 2008 at around the $160K mark. One to build on and the other to sell off at today's prices of $220K. That would have been a tidy profit.

You sure its $320K for the vacant lot? That seems a bit too steep. The guy accross me is selling his newly built home. His reckons hid land is valued at $220K so he'll sell it plus the price of the house.
reaver
Great insights there Joey. What I meant was I should have bought 2 vacant lots back in 2008 at around the $160K mark. One to build on and the other to sell off at today's prices of $220K. That would have been a tidy profit.

You sure its $320K for the vacant lot? That seems a bit too steep. The guy accross me is selling his newly built home. His reckons hid land is valued at $220K so he'll sell it plus the price of the house.

Yep, I called the agent for the contract price. It's a 600m2+ lot though, so your neighbour must be on a small lot (~400m2).
Related
23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations for Melbourne VIC?

Building A New House

I have posted this before: We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum