Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Wireless internet

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We are in the process of moving tomorrow (Yey!), we were thinking for when we first move in to go for a wireless pre paid internet option, just so we have something initially before we go onto a plan!

Wondering how others found the signal in new estates. l know a lot are bad with mobile phone signals which means wireless would be just as bad am l correct? Just don't want to buy the wireless set up modern etc for it not to work! Also, wanting to know if anyone had used a pre paid internet option, if so how did they find it ie speed, drop out monies worth etc

Any help would be great
hey, woodsey

as far as i know, the wireless is more expensive and has problems with signals in remote area.

why don't set up ADSL or Cable - or that will take long? if you have telephone line, you should be able to get ADSL

nh
Dont reinvent the wheel, chances are this issue has probably been faced before by your new neighbours.
Why dont you knock on a few doors in the area your moving in to, and ask how their hooked up, and how they find the service, and what in hindsight they would have really done.
Pat.
woodsey
Hi all,

We are in the process of moving tomorrow (Yey!), we were thinking for when we first move in to go for a wireless pre paid internet option, just so we have something initially before we go onto a plan!

Wondering how others found the signal in new estates. l know a lot are bad with mobile phone signals which means wireless would be just as bad am l correct? Just don't want to buy the wireless set up modern etc for it not to work! Also, wanting to know if anyone had used a pre paid internet option, if so how did they find it ie speed, drop out monies worth etc

Any help would be great

What do you use the internet for? Emails? Downloading? YouTube? Gaming?
Pat the draftie
Dont reinvent the wheel, chances are this issue has probably been faced before by your new neighbours.
Why dont you knock on a few doors in the area your moving in to, and ask how their hooked up, and how they find the service, and what in hindsight they would have really done.
Pat.

Great idea Pat
Woodsey,

Where are you moving to? Have you looked into Naked DSL? Essentially it is a broadband internet connection over a phone line, but the phone line only carries data. You don't have telephone capabilities over the line. The benefit is that you do not have to pay line rental on the phone line and you can install voip to make landline phone calls. There are a number of companies doing naked dsl at the moment, Engin and IInet spring to mind.

If you still want to go down the wireless path, then look into one of the companies that offers a router with ethernet connectivity to your devices. This enables you to run numerous computers and voip over your internet without the need for the main computer to be on all the time. Most of the wireless providers only give you a USB stick which will only work on one device. However, if you had a wireless modem plugging into a router, then you can run numerous computers and voip off it.

Hope that makes sense.

Em
If you can get ADSL or Cable then I don't see the point of going wireless. Surely it won't take long to get connected.

That said there are many areas, particularly new estates that do not have any form of ADSL or cable. In fact I'd say there are more people that don't have access to naked ADSL than those that do.
In my estate wireless is the only option for broadband customers. Sometimes what happens is Tel$tra over-sells the ADSL ports to other providers and they will tell you there are no ADSL ports available. What this can mean is you have to start ringing every provider you can think of until you find one that has a spare ADSL port that they have purchased off Tel$tra. I found this very missleading as it is a commom missconception that if Tel$tra or 0ptus doesn't have an ADSL port then that means there is no ADSL - you simply have to find a provider that has one ( Tel$tra probably know this but they will never tell you).

I ended up with Next G Wireless through Tel$tra and I've actually found the service excellent - no drop outs, no slow service or any problems with the connection at all. I get download speeds just as good as I have with ADSL 1500. There is one problems though - online gaming is difficult as the ping in quite high due to the increased time of getting a reposnse from other servers. This is not noticeable with browsing or downloading but with gaming it is a problem.
thanks everyone for the replies, l've got a lot to consider, l've just realised how little l know about internet connects so l think its time to google away!

l'd mainly be using it for sites like facebook, l do have internet at work which l can do most things except most of the fun things! So site that take up a lot of download!

l like the sound of the naked DSL, and ADSL seems good too, we are the first in our street so l cant compare with neighbours, l do have internet access at work which l can google search some investigating into the information posted, off l go
woodsey
thanks everyone for the replies, l've got a lot to consider, l've just realised how little l know about internet connects so l think its time to google away!

Go to this site... and prepare to lose a lot of your time...;-p

forums.whirlpool.net.au and bc.whirlpool.net.au
Related
7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum