Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Am I eligable for the 21K first home buyers grant??

Page 1 of 1
I am a first home buyer and am about to build on land i bought with my partner.

Is there anyway i can benefit from this grant??

I am in need desperate advise please...very confused
Try:
http://www.firsthome.gov.au/
Only if you and your partner have not owned or part owned a home before.
I'm just going through it now.

With land, you get nothing until you get a building contract signed. So if you're only buying land, it's full price.

Also, in WA, first homebuyers get $0 stamp duty. One thing that the DFT completely omitted on their website (to the shock of my banker and my settlement agent) was the as a land owner, you pay full stamp duty and get refunded when the paperwork for the grant goes through. (Even though the grant is a federal government thing). So my partner and I had to find $10,000 pretty quickly. So make sure you check - as in call up, don't rely on websites - any conditions with this. I know most states discount/reduce stamp duty, but you may have to pay the full price too.
I forgot to mention my partner has owned a property before...

So is there any way that I can benefit??
If your partner previously owned property beforehand, then no you are not entitled to the grant. But if you buy/build the house only under your name, then you will qualify. Having said that, you have to be sure that the Bank will give you the loan amount that you need only on your wage.

HTH.
the only way you can get the grant is if you are not with your partner.it dosnt matter what name the house is in if you both live in the house and either one of you has owned a house before then you cant get any grants. one of the questions on the form is do you have a partner and have they owned a house before if the answer is yes then you cant get it. sorry to be the bearer of bad news,its not fair i know as your partner could have owned property with an ex and youve never had the grant but thats the way it goes unfortunately.
this is directly from their application form
applicants and their partner must not:
#have previously recieved a first home owner grant in any state or territory of australia.if a grant was recieved but later paid back together with any penalty you may be entitled to reapply for the grant.
#have previously owned or held a relevant interest in a residential property anywhere in australia prior to 1 july 2000
#have occupied,for a continuous period of at least six months, a residential property in which they acquired a relevant interest on or after 1 july 2000

hope this helps cheers shelley
Related
19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

9/04/2024
First Avenue Homes Experience

General Discussion

Looks like they are still building.....

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum