Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Can I install a pendant light to ceiling?

Page 1 of 1

I'd like to ask if I'm able to add pendant lights to my rooms (bed 2, 3, 4 and leisure area) once the house is handed over. This is for the 2nd floor.

We were told by the electrical consultant (about a year ago) that we're able to do work "easier" since it's on the 2nd floor but not the ground floor.

Red are standard electrical point (Fluorescent Batten Holder Light Point & Switch)
Green are electrical point with timber noggin for pendant lights.

We'll add more red points for normal down lights. But thinking if it's easy to drill hole to the ceiling and add pendant lights since the wiring is already there or replace the red points and add pendant lights?
Venn Diagram

I'd like to ask if I'm able to add pendant lights to my rooms (bed 2, 3, 4 and leisure area) once the house is handed over. This is for the 2nd floor.

We were told by the electrical consultant (about a year ago) that we're able to do work "easier" since it's on the 2nd floor but not the ground floor.

Red are standard electrical point (Fluorescent Batten Holder Light Point & Switch)

We'll add more red points for normal down lights. But thinking if it's easy to drill hole to the ceiling and add pendant lights since the wiring is already there or replace the red points and add pendant lights?

Hey Venn

How are you?

The simple answer is yes you certainly can, the only issue you have to be aware of is the weight of the pendant and whether or not it needs blocking out in the ceiling ( ie extra timber) to support the weight.

For a half decent electrician running cables is easy.

Even downstairs, you will be amazed at how easy it is to add extra lights and speakers to ceilings. It is just a matter of skill being able to snake cables.

Anyhow all the best.

Simeon
Venn Diagram

We'll add more red points for normal down lights.

Maybe you should have asked the Electrical sales consultant to explain the proper circuit wirings of your house.

Venn Diagram
We'll add more red points for normal down lights.

Seriously, don't add anything (yourself), it's against the law and knowing very little can be dangerous
Ashington Homes
Venn Diagram

Hey Venn

How are you?

The simple answer is yes you certainly can, the only issue you have to be aware of is the weight of the pendant and whether or not it needs blocking out in the ceiling ( ie extra timber) to support the weight.

Even downstairs, you will be amazed at how easy it is to add extra lights and speakers to ceilings. It is just a matter of skill being able to snake cables.

Anyhow all the best.

Simeon

Ashington Homes
Venn Diagram

Hey Venn

How are you?

Anyhow all the best.

Simeon

@ashington Homes Thanks! If the place doesn't have the extra timber, will it be easy to add one later? If not, what's the maximum weight usually a ceiling is able to support without the timber?
Venn Diagram
Ashington Homes
Venn Diagram

Hey Venn

How are you?

Anyhow all the best.

Simeon

Ashington Homes
Venn Diagram

Hey Venn

How are you?

Anyhow all the best.

Simeon

@ashington Homes Thanks! If the place doesn't have the extra timber, will it be easy to add one later? If not, what's the maximum weight usually a ceiling is able to support without the timber?

if you can screw it in a rafter you will be fine, it's just that often the location of the light is in between a rafter so we just add some extra timber so you have something to screw it too and you have the flexibility to locate it whenever you want.
Ashington Homes
Venn Diagram
Ashington Homes
Hey Venn

How are you?

Anyhow all the best.

Simeon

Ashington Homes
Hey Venn

How are you?

Anyhow all the best.

Simeon

if you can screw it in a rafter you will be fine, it's just that often the location of the light is in between a rafter so we just add some extra timber so you have something to screw it too and you have the flexibility to locate it whenever you want.

Ic so if we can’t easily add the timber it will mean it will not be possible to add a pendant light in the room right? I am just afraid the pendant light added will fall off the ceiling without any fastening to a timber
Venn,

For small pendants you can get some plasterboard anchors, that hold up to 10kg which should be sufficient, but for larger items I would cut a hole add timber and patch it. Most painters can do this for you and you just pay them day labour.

Cheers

Simeon
Related
12/04/2024
combining the ceiling fan switch, light switch, dimmer switc

Building A New House

Any electricians here please help. 1) Will the Fan need separate switch to ON/OFF/Speed eventhough it comes with Remote 2) how about…

8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

26/08/2023
Leftover Materials - Supply and Install

Building A New House

That's a fantastic result! Happy you got it sorted out. cheers Simeon

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum