Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Multipurpose Media Room Design/Layout Advice

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

I was hoping someone could please give me some advice/feedback on the layout of my media/multipurpose room. Below are the attached plans (including layout/dimensions, basic electrical/conduit plan, as well as the likely media equipment I will be using). It will be a multipurpose media room for gaming, movies, playing music (via pc daw/mixer), including a walk-in robe to house most of my media equipment. The light in the room will be well controlled if required, due to block out curtains etc. The focus is a minimalist simple setting, with as little at the front of house as possible (hidden media equipment/cabling etc).

Main concerns are:
1. Do i have enough power outlets/data points? Is a single wide conduit between each key area sufficient?
2. As Ill be using a HDMI switcher (not an amp/reciever) with a soundbar (probably Samsung HW-Q950A) due to my minimalist approach, I'm a bit unsure how everything is supposed to connect? Im guessing all media devices connect to HDMI spitter within WIR, and one HDMI cable is sent to Soundbar, and then one HDMI cable is sent from soundbar to Projector? Projector will be the Benq tk700sti. So both soundbar and projector will have eARC.
3. Screen size.. thinking 150" may be too big for approx 3.5m away from eyesight?? And also not leaving much room at bottom of picture for soundbar/built in cabinet. In terms of view distance, I could move couch back to rear wall for about 4m distance.
4. Cooling for WIR which is housing most of media equipment, and will surely get hot - any cooling suggestions? Was thinking of putting an A/C vent in there and leaving the WIR sliding door open.

Any help/suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading
CBee
Hi there,

I was hoping someone could please give me some advice/feedback on the layout of my media/multipurpose room. Below are the attached plans (including layout/dimensions, basic electrical/conduit plan, as well as the likely media equipment I will be using). It will be a multipurpose media room for gaming, movies, playing music (via pc daw/mixer), including a walk-in robe to house most of my media equipment. The light in the room will be well controlled if required, due to block out curtains etc. The focus is a minimalist simple setting, with as little at the front of house as possible (hidden media equipment/cabling etc).

Main concerns are:
1. Do i have enough power outlets/data points? Is a single wide conduit between each key area sufficient?
2. As Ill be using a HDMI switcher (not an amp/reciever) with a soundbar (probably Samsung HW-Q950A) due to my minimalist approach, I'm a bit unsure how everything is supposed to connect? Im guessing all media devices connect to HDMI spitter within WIR, and one HDMI cable is sent to Soundbar, and then one HDMI cable is sent from soundbar to Projector? Projector will be the Benq tk700sti. So both soundbar and projector will have eARC.
3. Screen size.. thinking 150" may be too big for approx 3.5m away from eyesight?? And also not leaving much room at bottom of picture for soundbar/built in cabinet. In terms of view distance, I could move couch back to rear wall for about 4m distance.
4. Cooling for WIR which is housing most of media equipment, and will surely get hot - any cooling suggestions? Was thinking of putting an A/C vent in there and leaving the WIR sliding door open.

I'd say 150 inches is too big for 3.5 meters away, you'll likely need a short throw projector for a screen that size in that room, the suggested distance for a standard projector online is 4.55 metres, once you factor in the screen depth and the distance from the rear wall to the projector lens you're probably closer to 4 metres at best.

I think its enough power points.

You can certainly run from a splitter with HDMI to the screen and soundbar, but without a receiver to manage the signals you may run into latency differences between the two leaving the audio out of sync with the video, honestly I'd spend the money on a receiver, a good quality one isn't that expensive these days, particularly if you don't need it to actually power the speakers.

You should also consider the HDMI run lengths if you're looking at running 4k 120hz or 144hz with a HDMI 2.1 cable, you'll need a high quality cable to push that and many HDMI cables, even certified ones fail the specs at those lengths.

For cooling the room I'd consider something like this

https://www.fresh.eu/your-indoor-enviro ... ween-rooms

That way it just uses the AC in the theatre room.

As for the conduit, i'm not really sure where it is based on those plans, for wall runs just make sure its wide enough to fit a bulky HDMI plug for when you need to upgrade in the future.
I’d go for a TV at that distance, more flexible, and better blacks.

I’d put a tv distribution hub in the cabinet , then run rg6 to other tv pints around the house, you can use a modulator to add an hdmi input as a digital channel eg surveillance/foxtel etc.

You need a receiver to help switch it all.

look at the resilinx IR systems to control all the remotes, they have a good TV splitter with integrated IR, or you can send it over cat5/6,

I’m no expert and suggest getting advice from the pros
Spazzen
CBee
Hi there,

Main concerns are:

I'd say 150 inches is too big for 3.5 meters away, you'll likely need a short throw projector for a screen that size in that room, the suggested distance for a standard projector online is 4.55 metres, once you factor in the screen depth and the distance from the rear wall to the projector lens you're probably closer to 4 metres at best.

I think its enough power points.

You can certainly run from a splitter with HDMI to the screen and soundbar, but without a receiver to manage the signals you may run into latency differences between the two leaving the audio out of sync with the video, honestly I'd spend the money on a receiver, a good quality one isn't that expensive these days, particularly if you don't need it to actually power the speakers.

You should also consider the HDMI run lengths if you're looking at running 4k 120hz or 144hz with a HDMI 2.1 cable, you'll need a high quality cable to push that and many HDMI cables, even certified ones fail the specs at those lengths.

For cooling the room I'd consider something like this

https://www.fresh.eu/your-indoor-enviro ... ween-rooms

That way it just uses the AC in the theatre room.

As for the conduit, i'm not really sure where it is based on those plans, for wall runs just make sure its wide enough to fit a bulky HDMI plug for when you need to upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate the informative post. Thanks particularly for that cooling solution link.. definitely looks promising.
Totally agree with the 150" being too big.. i have the width covered well with 5m, but the ceiling height, which is as is at 2.4 is the limiting factor. Did the following measurements regarding both 135 (the min size id like) and 150, just to see how things would look with the projector (that ill most like use : Benq tk700sti) as close to the ceiling as possible with the lowest profile mount i could find online (6.2cm). As you can see below.. with 135", the most ill have below the screen is about 43cm to play with.. thatll include a built in wall cabinet with a decent soundbar on top, both of which need to be below the screen. So still doesnt leave much room. The 150 is a definite no no.. unless i could get a the speakers inbuild and behind the screen..but just too much effort to think about really.

I think the 135" is doable with this particular projector. What you think??
Pulse
I’d go for a TV at that distance, more flexible, and better blacks.

I’d put a tv distribution hub in the cabinet , then run rg6 to other tv pints around the house, you can use a modulator to add an hdmi input as a digital channel eg surveillance/foxtel etc.

You need a receiver to help switch it all.

look at the resilinx IR systems to control all the remotes, they have a good TV splitter with integrated IR, or you can send it over cat5/6,

I’m no expert and suggest getting advice from the pros

Appreciate you reply, thanks

Definitely want something above 120", and to be honest 135" is what im thinking would be max ill be able to do..
TV's, although better quality (got a 65" Panasonic plasma with amazing blacks), just doesnt give me the immersion that a projector gives me. Size is more important to me, and for that reason, the cheapest option is a projector.
Spazzen

Thanks again for the informative reply. Regarding connecting all my media to a HDMI switcher in the WIR>soundbar>projector, I am considering an a/v reciever to do this... But it seems nobody does it.. Apparently its an odd thing to do, since a/v r's are mainly used for passive speakers etc.

Surely thisll work better than a basic hdmi switcher? Even if im only using the avr for its switch/input capabilities and the audio is only sent via the HDMI out etc (and im not using the audio routes)?

Or i could just use a high end HDMI switcher as i initially intended to do. Interestingly i found a 4x2 hdmi switcher with hdmi 2.1 (plays 4k at 120hz and 8k at 60hz), first of its kind, so it seems perfect for future proofing and can play ps5/xbox series x)...seems to pass through all types of video and audio that youll ever need, But jeez its expensive...approx $1200US wtf!!

https://youtu.be/t8WY5at5_Ks

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _hdmi.html
CBee
Spazzen

Thanks again for the informative reply. Regarding connecting all my media to a HDMI switcher in the WIR>soundbar>projector, I am considering an a/v reciever to do this... But it seems nobody does it.. Apparently its an odd thing to do, since a/v r's are mainly used for passive speakers etc.

Surely thisll work better than a basic hdmi switcher? Even if im only using the avr for its switch/input capabilities and the audio is only sent via the HDMI out etc (and im not using the audio routes)?

Or i could just use a high end HDMI switcher as i initially intended to do. Interestingly i found a 4x2 hdmi switcher with hdmi 2.1 (plays 4k at 120hz and 8k at 60hz), first of its kind, so it seems perfect for future proofing and can play ps5/xbox series x)...seems to pass through all types of video and audio that youll ever need, But jeez its expensive...approx $1200US wtf!!

https://youtu.be/t8WY5at5_Ks

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _hdmi.html

I haven't done much research into switches recently, I'd see if it allows you to adjust the latency of the outputs to ensure you can adjust and sync the projector and soundbar if necessary.

Alternatively you'd want a soundbar and projector that allow you to do the adjustment.

That would normally be handled through a receiver, but some projectors and soundbars have the functionality.
Many thanks for the helpful advice Spazzen 👍
As i continue to do my research, im also considering the option of in-wall speakers (including behind an audio transparent screen) for an ultra minimalist solution.. Wouldn't want anything too powerful, just reasonable quality and setup... And hopefully a 5.1.2 setup for atmos. So i guess 5 speakers, a sub and an appropriate a/v r... Somewhat of a a reasonably priced package whould be good, as well as someone to pay for installation/configuration etc.

Again thanks for all the feedback 👍
CBee
As i continue to do my research, im also considering the option of in-wall speakers (including behind an audio transparent screen) for an ultra minimalist solution.. Wouldn't want anything too powerful, just reasonable quality and setup... And hopefully a 5.1.2 setup for atmos. So i guess 5 speakers, a sub and an appropriate a/v r... Somewhat of a a reasonably priced package whould be good, as well as someone to pay for installation/configuration etc.

That would look clean.

5.1 is likely the most appropriate given the room shape, as the rear side channels will need to be fairly close to ensure the people on the couch get the full experience which would somewhat negate the two extra rear speakers in a 7.1 setup.

There are in-wall subwoofers I'm not sure how great they are, but you can also get lounges designed to have a subwoofer box underneath them.

My parents have one, has two single seaters with a centre console between them for drinks etc, they don't have a sub in it though.

Might be worth looking at for an ultra clean feel to the room, requires forward planning as you'd need to run power and signal through the slab, or possibly to the wall on the right of your couch depending on what's preferable.

With the front speakers behind a screen and the sub under a lounge the two rear speakers would be all that's visible.

Good luck with everything.
Spazzen
CBee

That would look clean.

5.1 is likely the most appropriate given the room shape, as the rear side channels will need to be fairly close to ensure the people on the couch get the full experience which would somewhat negate the two extra rear speakers in a 7.1 setup.

There are in-wall subwoofers I'm not sure how great they are, but you can also get lounges designed to have a subwoofer box underneath them.

My parents have one, has two single seaters with a centre console between them for drinks etc, they don't have a sub in it though.

Might be worth looking at for an ultra clean feel to the room, requires forward planning as you'd need to run power and signal through the slab, or possibly to the wall on the right of your couch depending on what's preferable.

With the front speakers behind a screen and the sub under a lounge the two rear speakers would be all that's visible.

Thanks again for the repy. Interesting you mentioned the sofa with a console for sub. Ive already decided what sofa I want and it has the option of hiding a sub (plus has accessories to hold up speakers on the corners of the couch - originally designed for SONOS but any speaker could be sat on the table accessories). Just not sure if ill get 2 or 3 seats.. cool thing is that its very flexible on how you can put these together

King Cloud V Recliner Sofa - Luxurious reclining sofa | Lounge | Couch - King Living

Btw, with speakers at front.. e.g. 3, is it worth putting in conduit from WIR/media/av reciever etc. to the front (where the speakers are)? Would i only need 1 thick conduit or should i get about 3, since interference could be an issue??

thanks again for your help, and yeah 5.1 (with 2 overhead for dolby atmos) is definitely on my mind
CBee
Spazzen
CBee

That would look clean.

Thanks again for the repy. Interesting you mentioned the sofa with a console for sub. Ive already decided what sofa I want and it has the option of hiding a sub (plus has accessories to hold up speakers on the corners of the couch - originally designed for SONOS but any speaker could be sat on the table accessories). Just not sure if ill get 2 or 3 seats.. cool thing is that its very flexible on how you can put these together

King Cloud V Recliner Sofa - Luxurious reclining sofa | Lounge | Couch - King Living

Btw, with speakers at front.. e.g. 3, is it worth putting in conduit from WIR/media/av reciever etc. to the front (where the speakers are)? Would i only need 1 thick conduit or should i get about 3, since interference could be an issue??

thanks again for your help, and yeah 5.1 (with 2 overhead for dolby atmos) is definitely on my mind

Well, there you go, thats the exact same couch my parents have.

Its not bad, I can't say i'm the biggest fan of the electronic foot rest part, i get impatient waiting for it sometimes, but otherwise it's pretty good.

I was going to get conduit for my speaker runs, but the audio guy talked me out of it, if you're concerned about interference you can get shielded cables, but don't run it near power and its fine.

Unlike internet, HDMI etc speaker wires don't change so if you run it now it'll be good for 100 years, just run the cable where you want it and don't worry about conduit.
Good advice. Thanks again.

One last thing. Is it best to buy a speaker package (e.g 5.1.2 in wall speskers + amp) from lets say an online hifi/home theater store, and then contact a media installation company to install.... Or better to just go with an installation company who provide all the speakers/amp (decent tried n tested)? What do most people (who don't know how to install themselves) generally do. First option seems cheapest way to go with retail specials etc.

Again, appreciate all your help/feedback, and hope it helps some others.
CBee
Good advice. Thanks again.

One last thing. Is it best to buy a speaker package (e.g 5.1.2 in wall speskers + amp) from lets say an online hifi/home theater store, and then contact a media installation company to install.... Or better to just go with an installation company who provide all the speakers/amp (decent tried n tested)? What do most people (who don't know how to install themselves) generally do. First option seems cheapest way to go with retail specials etc.

Again, appreciate all your help/feedback, and hope it helps some others.

If it was tower speakers I'd do it the first way.

With in wall speakers I'd get them from a hi-fi place that does installation.

They can give you a package solution, and normally you'd be able to listen to multiple setups and choose one you like.
Related
9/07/2023
Multipurpose lounge with balcony

Building A New House

First time building 2 storey home in NSW. Below Current plan have separate balcony. But thinking to do a multipurpose lounge with balcony (kind of sunroom) in first floor…

17/03/2024
Large open plan living room layout options

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hello! We have a very large open plan living room and wanted to get layout options, and furnishing ideas for this space. Currently there is only a…

12/01/2024
Two sinks? Seeking advice with scullery/kitchen layout

Kitchen Corner

Hi, We're building a double-storey in Perth and I'm undecided with the kitchen sink situation. I'm set on having the main sink with dishwasher in the scullery - and…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum