Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Gable roof framing question

Page 1 of 1
Hi, all

I'm building a home studio myself (no previous construction experience) based on a design from a draftsman. I worked quite a bit out for myself, but I have a question about how to frame the eaves on a gable roof. From my research it seems there's no right or wrong answer, but I'd appreciate any thoughts or pointers,

This seems really complex in my head, so I'll provide pictures as a guide.

The studio's dimension are 5,000 x 3,000mm with the centre beam running from the mid point of 5m sides, so it will look like this:

The roof schedule calls for 140x45 rafters at 900 centres. So that's four rafters on each side. So far so good.

Now, my question is how do I get the overhang over the deck at the front and also at the back?

The eaves at front will be 750mm and at the back 450mm.

There are two primary ways which keep coming up in my research. The first is to cut a notch (or two, this is a long span) into the end rafter so a beam (don't knwo if this is the correct term) can sit flush to the outer roof level, like this:

(This image taken from this video.)

The second approach is more involved and involves moving the rafters in a little and installing a verge plate and trimmers, like this:

(This image taken from this video)

Now, my question: my preference is the first approach, for ease and cost. However I could see how the second option would be more stable. So, people who know this stuff, whihc would you go with?

Thanks in advance.
Related
10/05/2023
Converting a Gable Roof

Renovation + Home Improvement

You could frame it out and put a skillion roof on it.

30/05/2023
share traditional gable roof facade with pillars having ston

Building A New House

traditional gable roof facade - Have you did the dark and light gray color combination in facade with gray stone in facade…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum