Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

House Extension 2 stage Roofing question

Page 1 of 1
Hi there, We are owner builders and are in the design phase of doing a large 2 stage renovation, Its a small cottage that will have a back half (slab) 1st stage and 2nd stage gutting of cottage and large room next to cottage forming the façade.

My concern is that the roof that the designer has on the house now is not exactly reflecting the fact that this house is going to be staged. As nice as it is it;s just not really feasible unless we build this as a knock down
I need to rethink the roof and need some ideas- what can we do so that the two parts meet up easily and get the back extension built as cheap as possible ....flat roof on the back maybe?

What are your thought and ideas

Hey Nicolette.rae Welcome to the forum
I would say your designer has done the bare min. for Development Application (DA) approvals without fully understanding the overall Building process? Here Start with a 3D Engineering Roof Plan Overlay
For the Building Application (BA) I would recommend you find a local Design Engineer that uses 3D Engineering Bim.
The problem I foresee is if you alter the building envelope in the BA documents you may well be back at DA with non compliance
Then there's the problem with trades taking full advantage of drawing inaccuracies which will cost you a bomb in the current economic climate.
OT, Owner Builders are easy targets for Architectural Bim Renderings at both ends. Engineering Bim gets thoroughly checked and certified my2c
Related
20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

19/04/2024
Attaching roofing to brick

General Discussion

I plan on installing an undercover walkway (awning ??) from my carport to the back door as shown in sketch. I will be using Boxspan Beams and have no concerns regarding…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum