Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Retaining wall too high???

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

My husband and I are currently building our first home. We had a landscaper come on board and build retaining walls. The issue is he has built the walls at 880mm high when our council says it cant be higher than 600mm when within 900mm of fenceline. We are coming up to getting our Interium Occupancy certificate and wondering if this could stop us from being able to get the certificate? We've told the landscaper multiple times that we think its too high but he reckons hes never come across the height restriction before? Hubby and I have sort of acknowledged we will likely need to fixc the wall once we move in. TIA
Can you post council requirement
building-expert
Can you post council requirement

Wollongong Council stipulate that walls within 900mm of a fence line can not be over 600mm high and any retaining wall on your property can not be over 1000mm.

I feel completely stupid that our landscaper didnt inform us of this and its freaking me out. I cant sleep as we are supposed to be moving in 5 weeks but I'm terrified our interium occupancy certificate will be rejected and unsure how to rectify the issue?
A retaining wall or embankment should be restricted to a maximum height above or depth below natural ground level of no more than: (a) 600mm at any distance up to 900mm setback from any side or rear boundary; or (b) 1 metre, if the toe of the retaining wall or embankment is setback greater than 900mm from any side or rear boundary
Landscaper should have known better but you are the builder in charge and you too should have known better.
If you can take 200 off the top of the wall you can slope ground at 45 degrees up.
Related
13/06/2023
Concreting surface too high

Paving & Concreting

It will be neat but you won't have much freeboard. At least they are not weep holes. Are you in a high intensity rainfall region? The regulatory slope is only required…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum