Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Plumbers Insurance

Page 1 of 1
We have a roofing problem. Plumber will not come back to fix. We do have a Compliance Certificate.

Anyone with experience making a claim through Plumbers Insurance?

I am in Victoria.
Make complaint through Plumbing Industry on VBA site
building-expert
Make complaint through Plumbing Industry on VBA site

Does the VBA get them back or give me the plumbers insurance details to make a claim.
They will ask the plumber to rectify defective work
building-expert
They will ask the plumber to rectify defective work

And if the plumber refuses, is that when the Plumbers insurance kicks in
Information from VBA website.

Resolving problems

If you have any concerns about the plumbing work carried out by a licensed plumber, you should contact the plumber first to discuss your concerns and give them an opportunity to reassess and rectify any defective work.

If the issue is not resolved, you can lodge a complaint with the VBA. See VBA complaints process. We have powers to compel plumbing practitioners to rectify any defective or non-compliant plumbing work that we identify.

Release of plumber insurance details by the VBA

It is recommended that consumers give licensed plumbers the opportunity to return to rectify non-compliant plumbing work if they are still licensed and able to attend. If you do not want the licensed plumber to rectify the work, or the person is no longer licensed or able to carry out work, you can make a claim on the plumber’s insurance within six years of the work being completed.

The VBA holds details of the insurance policies of licensed plumbers due to its registration process for these practitioners, however as it is not a public registry it cannot release these directly to a consumer. If a consumer wishes to make a claim on a plumber’s insurance, they may seek these details from the licensed plumber directly, or it will be necessary to request access to the details via the VBA Freedom of information process.

The required insurance is prescribed by the Victorian Government in Ministerial Orders signed on 20 June 2002.
The VBA is unable to assist if an insurance claim is not successful or you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the claim. A dispute about the insurance claim can be resolved at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

Please note that a licensed plumber may choose not to return to rectify work and to release their insurance details to a consumer themselves.
if the plumber won't provide a compliance certificate, this is grounds for a complaint to the VBA, in addition to his refusal to complete the works.
Related
18/05/2023
Help with insurance claim

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, long-time lurker but first time posting. I've bought a house 2 and a bit years ago and last year we had some major water damage on a converted pergola area…

20/03/2024
Experience with HBCF insurance claim process NSW

Building A New House

I apologise for any confusion, but your understanding is correct. We approached our situation differently based on advice from…

7/11/2023
Question regarding PCI and H&C Insurance

Building A New House

i would not be signing anything on the day read your contract about when builder submits final invoice generally, have to meet builder within 7 days of receiving final…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum