Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

HIA contract issue with bank

Page 1 of 1
Good Afternoon

Wondering whether you have had encountered difficulties with Banks refusing a loan for constructing a house in response to clause 22 in a HIA build contract. The clause states that “The builder is not required to obtain any certificate Of occupancy or final inspection certificate relating to the building works.” We put this to the builder and he responded as as below in red text - last para starting with “This is a standard HIA industry contract……….”

How did you resolve this? Did your Bank accept your explanation?

Thanking you in anticipation.

John

Quote:
Clause 22 of the building contract it states that the Builder is not required to obtain a occupancy certificate. This clause is unacceptable to the Bank and as such if it not changed they are not prepared to look to assist us.
I think we did discuss that the Builder needed to get to the occupancy certificate stage as part of the contract and seems they have put this in the contract which is now causing us issues. Not sure what the Builder can do with this clause but we will have the same issue with any lender that we go to.
It may be a case of speaking to the Builder and finding out what can be done with this clause.”
This is a standard HIA industry contract, I'm suprised the bank has not dealt with this prior. We provide all certifications based on our contract for the build completed at handover for your OC however an OC is given to Home Owners once the driveway and required landscaping is completed. We are unable to arrange the final OC given we do not compelte the driveway, landscaping and other requirements outside of our contract.
we have the same clause in our contract but we got Interim Occupancy Certificate from the builder and we get final after we do driveway and landscaping. Had no trouble from the bank though
Fore2
Thank you for your reply. Comforting to know that it’s not an issue with some Banks at least.
John
Bizzare

My contract states in a few more words than what i've put down here:

The builder must not demand final payment until after the builder has given the owner either:
1. copy of the occupancy permit, if the works requires one
2. in any other case, certificate of final inspection

The driveway and landscaping are not part of the plans provided to the building surveyor so they do not need to be complete for the surveyor to issue a permit.
sifntdaz
Thank you for your reply. Our build is in Sydney. My understanding (and I could be completely wrong) is that councils now require driveways and landscaping submitted as part of the development application to be finished before a Final. Certificate of Occupancy will be issued.

However I am starting to think that in my case the Bank wants something official to say that the built house itself can be properly inhabited (ie. won’t fall down, leak in the rain, plumbing and electricity works ok). Maybe what is needed for the Bank in my case is an independent inspection carried out before final payment to the builder is made.
John
Looks like different rules in VIC. In my case, the bank has sent out an independent valuer at each stage before they will approve a progress payment. Hopefully that suffices for you.
sifntdaz
Thank you for your reply. We’re dealing with the Bank through a mortgage broker so I’m not totally sure what our Bank will do before making progress payments. However it might mean that we need to engage an independent building inspection at each stage of the build to satisfy the Bank that the final product will be properly built.
John
Related
3/09/2023
Contract Sum Adjustments in HIA contract

Building A New House

You talk about deletions, are they variations or PS and PC adjustments? pleas list them

24/01/2024
HIA HOME CONTRACT

General Discussion

Would love to know who your builder is?

19/11/2023
HIA Contract Clause 16.2 Delays to Carrying Out the Works Af

Building A New House

Unless there is something in special conditions the builder does not have to give you timeline. If your demolition contractor has not removed Asbestos and it was found…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum