Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Dishwasher space

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I need to make space for a 600mm dishwasher, just some advice seeking. Should I place it from the left or should I place from the right hand side. I don't plan to change the sink, just want to know if it is ok to have the dishwasher under the panel of the sink (not the bowl).

You can put a dishwasher under the drainer of your sink. In fact it's a fairly typical spot.
However, if you put it hard to the left you only have to deal with cutting and rebuilding one side of the cabinets. If you put it under the drainer then you have 2 sides to cut and rebuild which will add to the costs.
I don't normally recommend Fisher and Paykel dish drawers but in your circumstance have you looked to see if they will fit.
The reason I ask is because they can sit in the existing cabinetry without having to cut the base of the cabinet and kickboard. You would just have to take out the upright, cut your shelf back to the right size and install a new upright in the right position. You then have the space to slide a set of dish drawers in (hopefully).
While not my favourite dishwasher the install could possibly be much, much simpler.
Thanks Chippy,

I've already ordered a free standing Beko unit, the drawer unit a like an extra $1000 to what I paid, so the extra work is justified. As far as the extra cabinetry goes, If I am correct if it's left or right I'm basically going to have to get a door made to size and still have that middle wall moved one way or the other to fit the 600mm wide because that middle wall is 470 (approx) from either side. Is that right?

Your knowledge is much appreciated, thank you.
TrickyD
Thanks Chippy,

I've already ordered a free standing Beko unit, the drawer unit a like an extra $1000 to what I paid, so the extra work is justified. As far as the extra cabinetry goes, If I am correct if it's left or right I'm basically going to have to get a door made to size and still have that middle wall moved one way or the other to fit the 600mm wide because that middle wall is 470 (approx) from either side. Is that right?

A normal DW space is boxed on both sides.
If you move the DW to the right (under drainer) you need to cut and box 2 sides of cabinetry.
If you move DW to the left against the wall you basically use the wall as one side so only have to cut and box one side of cabinetry.

Both ways will require a new door. If it was a new kitchen I'd put it under the sink, but as a retro fit it would be easier to put the DW on the left against the wall.
chippy
TrickyD
Thanks Chippy,

If you move the DW to the right (under drainer) you need to cut and box 2 sides of cabinetry.
If you move DW to the left against the wall you basically use the wall as one side so only have to cut and box one side of cabinetry.

Both ways will require a new door. If it was a new kitchen I'd put it under the sink, but as a retro fit it would be easier to put the DW on the left against the wall.

Thanks Chippy!

From the left it is!
chippy
TrickyD
Thanks Chippy,

Soz to be a pain, how far before it's too far for the hose to plum?
Depends on the dishwasher. Different machines have different lengths of inlet and drain hoses.
You can easily add an extender if you need to.
You look like you would be pretty close to reaching without extensions.
The best spot for the hole for the hoses is through the floor of the cupboard next to the DW space right at the back. The hoses feed under the cabinet kick space and up into the adjacent cabinet. That way the hoses don't get in the way of sliding the dishwasher back like they would if you went through the side of the cabinet.
chippy
You look like you would be pretty close to reaching without extensions.
The best spot for the hole for the hoses is through the floor of the cupboard next to the DW space right at the back. The hoses feed under the cabinet kick space and up into the adjacent cabinet. That way the hoses don't get in the way of sliding the dishwasher back like they would if you went through the side of the cabinet.

Thanks for your help Chippy.
Related
31/01/2024
Bosch dishwasher

General Discussion

I am installing a new Bosch SMU4HTS01A built under dushwasher. I have 2 questions. What is the function of the metal strip about 500mm long x 60mm wide the tell you to…

31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

22/08/2023
public open space contribution

General Discussion

Cupcake.girl This really depends on your local council. Each one has different definitions and ways to calculate contributions. This is called a contribution…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum