Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

When to make payment for stage inspection

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question when should I make payment for lockup stage? I have just been invoiced

I asked for evidence and they have sent me pictures of front back and side (brickwork,windows etc) .. my question is should I rely on these pictures and make payment or should I ask for evidence like building Surveyor certificate?
Why not inspect yourself?
Overseas at the moment. Flights not available
Unless you can quickly prove otherwise you will just have to accept the photos in good faith and pay the invoice. Delaying payment risks breaching the contract and financial penalties from the builder.
yuzeee2
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question when should I make payment for lockup stage? I have just been invoiced

I asked for evidence and they have sent me pictures of front back and side (brickwork,windows etc) .. my question is should I rely on these pictures and make payment or should I ask for evidence like building Surveyor certificate?

if you are using the HIA contract, unless its been amended to state otherwise you will have to pay within 5 days of the invoice.

Under the fair trading contract there are better dispute and set of mechanisms.

Best to check your contract

Cheers

Simeon
Time of payment would depend on the type of contract. Refer to your construction contract, it should have a clause about payment, which also should say when you're supposed to pay. Different contracts may dictate different payment schemes and different schedules for making progress payments.

Also, you should inspect the works in person. If you are not confident, then you should consider engaging a building consultant who can assist with this.

In the meantime, your safest bet is to pay when you're invoiced.
Related
3/10/2023
Final payment for new build in NSW

Building A New House

regardless, your contract stipulates a payments schedule and SOPA doesn't give provision to that scenario. Your contractual terms appear to stand. Hence get a lawyer, it…

9/10/2023
Payment Structure Query in MBA Contract: Seeking Advice

Building A New House

There is no reason why building contract reconciliation cannot be done prior to handover, if the builder won't do it get someone to do it for you. Why would you pay for…

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum