Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

upstairs addition

Page 1 of 1
I have just had an upstairs addition project completed by a builder in Northern beaches (Sydney) in Dec 2020. I proceeded with the downstairs reno (with another builder) immediately after upstairs. After the demolition of downstairs walls, I am now horrified to see the supporting structure done by the upstairs builder. in simple, upstairs structure was hold up by four steel beams and all these beams are loaded onto timber structure, rather than brick walls. I asked the engineer who i used to design the upstairs structure. the engineer said it is fine to load the beams directly onto the timber despite the fact that the original structure engineer drawing states clearly that all steel beams need to be loaded onto the brick walls. This structural engineer was recommended to me by the upstairs builder, so i wanted to check here if it is ok to place the beams like the way shown in the pic below. the steel beams are now placed above the yellow beams, and the yellow beams are supported by small timber block vertically.

youxuan
I have just had an upstairs addition project completed by a builder in Northern beaches (Sydney) in Dec 2020. I proceeded with the downstairs reno (with another builder) immediately after upstairs. After the demolition of downstairs walls, I am now horrified to see the supporting structure done by the upstairs builder. in simple, upstairs structure was hold up by four steel beams and all these beams are loaded onto timber structure, rather than brick walls. I asked the engineer who i used to design the upstairs structure. the engineer said it is fine to load the beams directly onto the timber despite the fact that the original structure engineer drawing states clearly that all steel beams need to be loaded onto the brick walls. This structural engineer was recommended to me by the upstairs builder, so i wanted to check here if it is ok to place the beams like the way shown in the pic below. the steel beams are now placed above the yellow beams, and the yellow beams are supported by small timber block vertically.

Can you post a screenshot of your original strurctural drawings with a detail of that connection?

also I will PM you the details of a great structural engineer here in Sydney who will be able to advise you

cheers

Simeon
Hey youxuan welcome to the forum
Builders and trades do assorts of non compliant sh!t, you need to keep on your toes and check the engineering details
Builders dump on other Builders work all the time, certification should be done by Engineers and building surveyors
If you don't have the correct details, then I'd say the cheap builder didn't pay the engineer for them... yet another problem
LOL, Some Builders love leaving things out....?
StructuralBIMGuy
Hey youxuan welcome to the forum
Builders and trades do assorts of non compliant sh!t, you need to keep on your toes and check the engineering details
Builders dump on other Builders work all the time, certification should be done by Engineers and building surveyors
If you don't have the correct details, then I'd say the cheap builder didn't pay the engineer for them... yet another problem
LOL, Some Builders love leaving things out....?

So true, so true! couldnt have said it better
thanks. this is the engineer drawing. first pic is the red circled place and the 2nd pic is the blue circled place.
that looks pretty self explanatory
the drawings says B1 Steel beams bearing onto brickwork X 100mm bearing and load beams onto brick piers
not timber beams on timber studs? At minimum the columns should be steel SHS for UBs
The details doesn't match what's there or been built?
Related
5/02/2024
1st Storey addition vs Lower level excavation

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, We’ve recently had plans approved to add a 1st storey addition to our existing house for a growing family in Sydney. With the current cost of building…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum