Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Tiling/Grouting Cracking in Bathroom in Newish Build

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I was seeking some advice as to whether this is a builders issue or whether it as my builder claims - maintenance issue and we just need to suck it up and pay for it to be fixed. We don't fully know our rights around this area so hoping those with more knowledge/experience would be of help.

Our house was completed in 2016 and noticed some issues with the wall/grout cracking in the shower and the grout being poor in the corner hob about 6 months to a year after it was completed. Totally on us and being lax and also thinking that it wouldn't get worse, but it is. It is now starting to leak on the other side of the hob. In terms of cleaning products, we use fairly natural and nonaggressive products.

We contacted the builder and this was their response:

"A new home will continuously have expansion and contraction that may result in wall and cornice cracking, grout lines cracking and, in some cases, cracked tiles.
The cracking observed in the photos you have provided are considered non-structural, and of aesthetic consequence only. To maintain the quality and longevity of your new home it is important that you carry out a general maintenance.
There are significant breaches in the grout and or silicone to the floor / wall junction.

As the homeowner it is important that you maintain the shower capsule by checking the grout and silicone are in place and being mindful of the aggressiveness of cleaning and products used.

At the first signs of grout or silicone deterioration this should be replaced to prevent further damage to your home.

Taking into consideration the age of the home, and having completed the service period, we deem this to be homeowners’ maintenance, and no further action by the builder."

Are they being fair?

Edit: Photos: https://imgur.com/a/CoqZ8l7
Hi there

There are no photos attached

For grout to fail that quickly seems to be odd, there are places where silicon is used instead of grout...because tiles do move overtime..but for 5 years old home...i will be expecting them to stay strong unless they are being abused

For tiles to crack, if they are not being abused then crack tiles might be due to poor installation..or if silicone or other material isnt used to allow for expansion..

Im not an expert...only learned from different people while trying to fix a botched tiling job.

What if the tile cracking is a result of structural issues ie compaction, slab and wall non compliance , as tile cracking usually is
You will never know now and the Builder is off the hook on maintenance repairs as a result of structural issues.
The smart money would have been on having inspections done during structural stages.
Any problems should have been highlighted and immediately brought to the builders attention.
then insist on a maintenance extension, good insurance against future cracking... and proof for the Building commission
You needed to ask questions during your build ... hindsight is a wonderful thing
short of knowing more about the situation i think this part of your statement should answer your question -

Our house was completed in 2016 and noticed some issues with the wall/grout cracking in the shower and the grout being poor in the corner hob about 6 months to a year after it was completed. Totally on us and being lax and also thinking that it wouldn't get worse, but it is.

Again, without knowing more about your build, it reads as if you've let something go on for 5 years without doing anything about it. At face value, i'd be with the builder on this.
I assumed as much. Looks like it will be something we will need to chalk up as hindsight/learning experience. I have added in some photos if that helps or changes anything but I am doubtful.
sometimes learning experiences are expensive.

is there any damage to the other side of the wall where there is cracking? ie wet carpets or damp? If so the waterproofing is compromised and you'll need to do more than just re-grout and caulk. If not, id do the regrout and caulking yourself while you investigate the cracking to make sure its not foundation movement causing it. . Its kind of a weird place for a crack tbh. Are there others in the house? worse than this? if so, def get a profesional to take a look. buckle in for an annoyingly long "wait and see" exercise.
Related
28/05/2023
Cracking Hebel root cause analysis

General Discussion

How wide are cracks? Can post some photos

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

4/11/2023
Tiling over old adhesive

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi, I'm clearing the tiles from our horrid 50 year old bathroom and preparing to lay new ones. Bugger of a job getting the old…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum