Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Defect advice

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys,
I had handed over for my new house around 9 months ago now, been living it in for around 6 months.
We had issues during a whole build I wish i didn't pay but i can only learn from that mistake now.

Just wanted to get some advice on some issues.
Our skirting boards arent straight all over the house, i've checked most of this builders display homes and others and none are as bad, am i been fussy? check out the photos the long part of hallway kicks out 3-4 times along the legnth and just looks horrible..

My kitchen tiles are poorly done (in my opinion) One tile has a brown dot, and most of the cut tiles have chips.
Again pictures

Water pressure low, hot water doesn't work 100% of time in our kitchen, around 5 out of 10 times. (not sure if related to water pressure? gas system, does it kick in under pressure?)
pressure is so low i can't even hose my driveway down without having to get the preesure washer out.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ev61c3ewr4l9 ... FujYa?dl=0

Photo's in my dropbox folder

Thanks
adrian20
Hey guys,
I had handed over for my new house around 9 months ago now, been living it in for around 6 months.
We had issues during a whole build I wish i didn't pay but i can only learn from that mistake now.

Just wanted to get some advice on some issues.
Our skirting boards arent straight all over the house, i've checked most of this builders display homes and others and none are as bad, am i been fussy? check out the photos the long part of hallway kicks out 3-4 times along the legnth and just looks horrible..

My kitchen tiles are poorly done (in my opinion) One tile has a brown dot, and most of the cut tiles have chips.
Again pictures

Water pressure low, hot water doesn't work 100% of time in our kitchen, around 5 out of 10 times. (not sure if related to water pressure? gas system, does it kick in under pressure?)
pressure is so low i can't even hose my driveway down without having to get the preesure washer out.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ev61c3ewr4l9 ... FujYa?dl=0

Photo's in my dropbox folder

Thanks

Hi Adrian

you are right the workmanship is very poor. Especially your walls which are about as straight as a nascar circuit. Chippy or one of the other posters might be able to give you some advice on how to straighten walls without taking all the gyprock off.Its probably impossible.

With the water pressure, just double check that your tap on your water meter is fully turned on and all other taps turned off. If it is, as a good rule of thumb test, get a 20 litre bucket, time how long it takes to fill from a tap in the front yard. A good pressure ( by Sydney water Standards) will have it filling 18 litres 60 seconds or less. In their speak that means you have 15m head of pressure. I think this is relatively standard in most major cities.

Not sure where you are, but if it takes substantially longer then that give your water provider a call.

Cheers

Simeon
Suggest you check the walls, ceilings and floors for straight, plumb and level with a 2m straight edge against Australian standards for their compliance and document any deviations for your builder's comment. These will be due to the frame not being straightened before the gyprock was fixed and may be considered for rectification under their contractual as well as statuatory structural warranty obligations.
Use the guide that I have linked to check your whole house, write a list of defects including measurements and photos and send them to your builder with expected rectification. Ensure you keep the email trail for all correspondence. If the builder phones, record date and time and what was said and get the builder to follow up with an email. Good luck.

Guide to Standards and Tolerances
Thanks, guys ill take a look,
I've had a building inspector out but seems like they just pick on easy stuff and won't say much regarding my skirting boards.

It all started with my slab, just wish i never paid.
Most of my frame work has packers under it and all my door frames/window frames are cracking and even after been repaired crack within a few weeks again.
I've had a building inspector out but seems like they just pick on easy stuff and won't say much regarding my skirting boards.

Most of my frame work has packers under it and all my door frames/window frames are cracking and even after been repaired crack within a few weeks again.
Had a quick read of the guide, thanks for that.
I can't find anything regarding the walls on horizontal only vertical, with tiles I'm not sure what it will come under too as a defect?
I'm also in SA, does this make a difference since the guide is for Vic?
Seems really hard to find standards/codes online without paying for stuff.
adrian20

what is this a picture of?

Please dont tell me your Slab?
adrian20
I can't find anything regarding the walls on horizontal only vertical, with tiles I'm not sure what it will come under too as a defect?

The Vic guide follows the Australian Standards which are applicable for SA. See page 48: "9.01 Verticality or plumbness of internal and external wall surfaces Wall surfaces are defective if they deviate from vertical by more than 5 mm over a 1.8 m
straight edge. Refer to Diagram E on page 13 of this Guide. 9.02 Straightness of internal and external wall surfaces
Walls are defective if they deviate from plane (bow) by more than 5 mm over a 1.8 m straight edge. This tolerance includes internal walls with a build-up of plaster at internal and external corners of the plasterwork."
Fore2
adrian20

Yep
Kippers01
adrian20

The Vic guide follows the Australian Standards which are applicable for SA. See page 48: "9.01 Verticality or plumbness of internal and external wall surfaces Wall surfaces are defective if they deviate from vertical by more than 5 mm over a 1.8 m
straight edge. Refer to Diagram E on page 13 of this Guide. 9.02 Straightness of internal and external wall surfaces
Walls are defective if they deviate from plane (bow) by more than 5 mm over a 1.8 m straight edge. This tolerance includes internal walls with a build-up of plaster at internal and external corners of the plasterwork."

Thank you very much
adrian20
Fore2
adrian20

Yep
/quote]
who did you build with and who done ya slab? That is bad as (sorry)
Hickinbotham, claim to be the best in SA but wont even help sort issues out.
faaaark. that slab... I feel bad for you mate. Looks like they just pumped it in and left it to cure without any screeding.
Added some more photos to the folder with a level on the skirting boards, also noticed the rear sliding door frame is very badly warped. It out by around 10mm
I've tested my water pressure its 350KPA at the garden tap which is the first thing after the mains.
Related
15/01/2024
Is this a defect in my window frame?

Windows & Doors

Its the flashing and is normal. Some builders cover them up others just leave them handing. You can cover it up with an aluminium bracket or ask the builder.

11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

31/01/2024
Building defect - sill flashing under window on concrete sla

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

There doesn't look to be any rebate in the slab to prevent water from scooting under the window. AS4654 is the Australian standard to look at/refer to. They have…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum