Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Double glazed windows, upstairs only.

Page 1 of 1
Wondering if anyone's done this? I am building in Brisbane and I do not like he heat, especially when going to the second level of a house. That heat that hits you due to poor insulation really gets to me.

Is it worth getting double glazed windows upstairs only because of this? The home I am building has a balcony with bifold doors, so loads of windows..
Nope. Hot air rises so it’s going to rise from the first floor and get trapped upstairs.
Better off ensuring there's sufficient insulation in walls, ceilings and roofs. External walls are usually insulated by default but internal walls aren't, unless your builder has included it or you've added it as an option.

Consider a light colour roof to minimise heat conduction, and also speak to your air conditioning tradie about thermal management.

Muhammad
Better off ensuring there's sufficient insulation in walls, ceilings and roofs. External walls are usually insulated by default but internal walls aren't, unless your builder has included it or you've added it as an option.

Consider a light colour roof to minimise heat conduction, and also speak to your air conditioning tradie about thermal management.

Thanks Muhammad, I've been told there is R1.5 in the walls. I might see if we can increase the stud size so I can increase the R value. Do you think that's a good idea? I've also thought about eaves. Will it make a difference on the second level of a double storey if I increase the eave size??
I think it depends on which wall it is and how much sun you get on that side. If it's Eastern wall, you're going to get morning sun and if there's plenty of windows there, the heat will transfer indoors a fair bit. Same for the Western wall in the afternoon.

Muhammad
I think it depends on which wall it is and how much sun you get on that side. If it's Eastern wall, you're going to get morning sun and if there's plenty of windows there, the heat will transfer indoors a fair bit. Same for the Western wall in the afternoon.

Ugh so many variables. I'm finding this all so difficult! My house is facing SW, so not clear cut north, east etc.
I understand your frustration
having recently just built, my recommendation is to stay focused during this planning and design phase, and seek out multiple experts for advice. It will pay dividends and save on project variations or expensive renovations later.

Muhammad
I understand your frustration
having recently just built, my recommendation is to stay focused during this planning and design phase, and seek out multiple experts for advice. It will pay dividends and save on project variations or expensive renovations later.

Thanks Muhammad, IA it works out. Feeling stressed but hoping it pays off to do as much research as I can! I so appreciate your help. Thank you
Related
16/01/2024
Double glazed aluminium windows-doors- slimline?

Windows & Doors

I don't know them all, the first 2 top of your list are best known. Rylock is a good company, Stegbar is for sale.

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

24/08/2023
Can I move my home Gym workout station upstairs?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I have a home gym at home. It weights 150KG including the weight stack. I'm a big boy, around 150KG myself. I was thinking about moving it up stairs to the second…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum