I come across many customers who have been on the receiving end of a hard sell. Some have already committed and many have given up. Just the other day I was talking to a woman who had contacted a company and she had been told she would not be given a quote unless they met with her and her partner at her home.
So I thought I would give you my insight into the many techniques they use to get you over the line, starting with the one I mentioned where they need both partners to be present.
1 The Husband AND Wife Must Be Present
They will say they need all the decision makers or everyone who is on the deeds. Why?
The answer is obvious, but it might not seem so obvious if you don’t have much experience with in home sales. In short, they want you both to be there so they can try to talk you into buying on the spot without taking any time to think it over.
Remember these companies have been in business for years, they’ve met with thousands of folks who were considering a replacement windows and they know if they meet with the husband alone he’s likely to say “I’ll talk it over with my wife”, and the wife will likely say the same thing about the husband. And that will stall their efforts to close the deal. They like to close the deal in one visit.
The woman I met has joined a class action against one company for discrimination.
I will give you more insights in the coming days...
- The husband and wife MUST both be present
- The neighborhood discount
- The display home discount
- “Buy 2 get 1 free”
- Window trade-in
- 50% off (or free labour)
- We’ll add your order to another big order to get you a lower price
- We will be able to fit this into another container to save you freight.
- Your windows cost more because they’re bigger.
- All warranties are basically the same
- My shorter warranty is shorter, but that’s actually better
- I’ll call my boss and tell him that you need a special discount – he makes a fake call.
- The "error" in the quote.
- You can’t afford it.
And any others you want to share to get it out there…