Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Odd positioned block, need imagination please

Page 1 of 1
Hi, can anyone help with working out what floor plan roughly would work with this one?

Looking at Lot 121.

Its 675m with 15m width and 45m deep.

We are not sure how to work the front section. I don't want a block with a large front yard as we have yound children so want them to have room out the back. So we'd need to use as much of the front as possible.

We are looking at building a 4bed, 2garage, 2living, 2 bathroom etc.

Passive heating/cooling would be difficult I think as the driveway would have to go on the Eastern side :/

Does anyone think this block would be difficult to build on?

Looking forward to any help you can offer.
Tash2020
Passive heating/cooling would be difficult I think as the driveway would have to go on the Eastern side :/

The driveway on the east is not your passive heating issue, it's the three houses on your northern boundary and how much shadow they will cast in winter. BTW, the orientation you want to achieve passive cooling is to use shading from the south and also to catch any prevailing breezes.
What about garages in the 'handle' part facing the street. The garage doors would be perpendicular to the front door. Drive straight in and out of the garages that are in front of the home.

If you were considering a typical project home layout the usual garage space could then be more space inside or a workshop in the home.
The driveway on the east is not your passive heating issue, it's the three houses on your northern boundary and how much shadow they will cast in winter. BTW, the orientation you want to achieve passive cooling is to use shading from the south and also to catch any prevailing breezes.[/quote]

Ok I understand what you are saying but I can't control shading at all as who will ever know what would be built next door or behind. The only thing I can do is build according to the sun. I am yet to understand about the direction of breezes, that bit I couldn't get my head around when I researched passive heating/cooling. Is there a particular direction that the breeze comes from?

Thanks
Phil of Sydney
What about garages in the 'handle' part facing the street. The garage doors would be perpendicular to the front door. Drive straight in and out of the garages that are in front of the home.

If you were considering a typical project home layout the usual garage space could then be more space inside or a workshop in the home.

We did think about having the garage there but we don't really like that look. I think we'd rather a more traditional style frontage.

But I will admit that would be the best option to use up the space.

Thanks
Tash2020
Is there a particular direction that the breeze comes from?

There would be a prevailing direction for that area, but it is not as straightforward as it is with the sun where the path is very predictable throughout the year. It is possible that the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) has records, or perhaps the Council.
Related
28/01/2024
Need urgent help regarding facade colour combination please

Building A New House

Thank you @. Tried to play with the facade models but the exact colour is not matching up.

24/05/2023
Removing gyprock from besser block wall

Kitchen Splashbacks

Thanks again, appreciate the advice

3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum