Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Slab selection

Page 1 of 1
After the geotech's report (let's say if the soil is M or S), are we able to CHOOSE between a conventional slab and wafflepod slab? How much is the difference of costs between conventional and wafflepod slabs?
Depends on your contract with the builder.

If you are an OB, then you would obviously get to tell your engineer what you would prefer, and they would ultimately decide depending on if WP would work on your site.

Cost difference is obviously significant enough for everyone to be be using them.
moudzj
Depends on your contract with the builder.

If you are an OB, then you would obviously get to tell your engineer what you would prefer, and they would ultimately decide depending on if WP would work on your site.

Cost difference is obviously significant enough for everyone to be be using them.

Thanks for the comment.
moudzj

That is not the case in Perth raft footings, slab on ground and double brick is the norm
The cost of housing in Sydney is significantly more than Perth, but that has a lot to do with conditioning, what you are expected to pay, herd acceptance, etc, etc . Always question the data and reports, then make up your own mind.

Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
moudzj

That is not the case in Perth raft footings, slab on ground and double brick is the norm
The cost of housing in Sydney is significantly more than Perth, but that has a lot to do with conditioning, what you are expected to pay, herd acceptance, etc, etc . Always question the data and reports, then make up your own mind.

Cheers
Chris

Makes sense. Thanks heaps for the advice mate. I thought that they don't make wafflepod slabs at all in some cities where there are strong winds and in cyclone-prone areas. Well to my understanding, Perth is considered to be a windy region. But then, winds can be high in Sydney and Melbourne too.
I guess you're right, builders mostly follow norms (of conventional slabs and double brick construction). I think I'll have to dig in more knowledge. I tried to ask few people on fb pages in perth, they don't know about WP at all, which was kinda surprising to me.
We use raft on a sand bed at $25m3 why would you bother with polystyrene void formers at $50m3 in perth?
OT If you were to build a Std Perth house, ie, Slab, Double Brick, pitched stick roof house in Sydney it would be twice the price.and over Engineered for what you get by comparison.
Steer clear of unorthodox construction methodologies, the Trade/Builders always find ways to gouge more in variation costs
StructuralBIMGuy
We use raft on a sand bed at $25m3 why would you bother with polystyrene void formers at $50m3 in perth?
OT If you were to build a Std Perth house, ie, Slab, Double Brick, pitched stick roof house in Sydney it would be twice the price.and over Engineered for what you get by comparison.
Steer clear of unorthodox construction methodologies, the Trade/Builders always find ways to gouge more in variation costs

True, I was thinking of going with icf construction method, which is why I thought i should go with WP slabs. But if WP cost $50/m3 compared to $25/m3, then it would be useful to think of WP. I read on different forums and webpages that WP costs cheaper cus it uses lesser concrete and less digging but then the polysterne have costs too. So I'll have to compare between these 2 first.
Get/Pay for your geotech report, engineering/construction details, compliance, certification, breakdown costs,etc
and post... LOL, you cant have your double brick and eat your waffle too.
You need to do your home work properly ... then convince your lenders, tradies onsite, etc and you are doing this as an OB?...Goodluck with that
Here, do a comparison.. make sure the 3D Bim is based on your design
Slab and formwork costs
StructuralBIMGuy
Get/Pay for your geotech report, engineering/construction details, compliance, certification, breakdown costs,etc
You need to do your home work properly ... then convince your lenders, tradies onsite, etc and you are doing this as an OB?...Goodluck with that
Slab and formwork costs

Thanks for your suggestions mate, the more I ask the more I learn lol. It takes time to learn, I'm just a baby. I'll start my project in 2 years, so I reckon I have enough time to learn from the experts of your type haha.

Thanks for the 3D Bim design, I'll work on it.
[quote="StructuralBIMGuy"]Get/Pay for your geotech report, engineering/construction details, compliance, certification, breakdown costs,etc
[url=https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=88428&p=1724137#pImg425645]Slab and

Do you have any website or any other means where I can see this split of costs the one u just sent me? It's not clear here actually
Rafay - your best bet is to get local quotes for waffle slabs and raft slabs as a m2 rate, and see what the differences are.

Building is not difficult at all once you understand the process - what will make or break you is your tradespeople. Pay extra, and get quality trades, and that will make up for what you lack.
Related
24/07/2023
Firstyle Tile Selection

General Discussion

Hi Kaiser85, We are building with Firstyle Homes. Our build has just started, slab pour is on Saturday (hopefully!). Their standard range is pretty good. We did our…

26/02/2024
Need help on wall colour selection

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, we have classic cream gutters, fascia’s, roller door and undercover carport. We are are going to paint the roof a terracotta orange colour. After some…

20/04/2024
Colour Selection: Comments / Feedback

Building A New House

I am building Enfield 201 by Mimosa Homes - York Facade Link: https://www.mimosahomes.com.au/new-homes/enfield-201/ I did my colour appointment last week. I am looking…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum