Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Ceiling Fans - are they easy to self install?

Page 1 of 1
I have ducted aircon throughout the house but am thinking about installing a ceiling fan with light in the master bedroom. I have seen them in a shops and are quite cheap, but I'm wondering if they are easy to install yourself, or weather you would need a sparky to install it?
You need a sparky by law
There is no point trying to wire anything in your home yourself unless you are a sparky. Its just not worth the risk so for the cost of getting it done right in the first place can save problems in the future.

I dont like to do any wiring myself and I wouldnt recommend anyone trying themselves.
Ever slept in a room with a ceiling fan that has a light on it too. all good and quiet for a year or two but mine drove me mad with that vibrating glass cover
It had all the anti vibration thingies and it was either go hot and have quiet or be cool and here the glass vibrate
That fan owes me so many hours of sleep
Fu Manchu we had a ceiling fan with a light in it in our bedroom in our last house. Installed way back before we got aircon in '98.( at least 2-3 years b4. We still used it when we just wanted air movement or when the night was very humid right up until our last summer in the house ( last xmas) ours never made a lot of noise. I think you lucked out. We certainly didn't have a vibrating glass problem at all.
I installed mine quite a while ago, so I'm not sure that I remeber all the numbers correctly but: the fan anchor point must support loads of 50kg min. The blades must above the certain level, depending on height of the ceiling. You can probably find this info somewhere. I saved on installation by making the anchors myself, then hanged up the fans and get the sparky just to wire them. As for the noise, go for quality, el cheapos are often noisy. Try http://www.hunterpacific.com.au/

Chris
So you cant just install a fan over one of your ceiling light? I was going to do that to my alfresco after handover. I didnt know you need a sparky to do it!

But the builders charge so much for the fans!!
wonderland
But the builders charge so much for the fans!!

Dont talk to the builder, talk to the sparky onsite and offer him some cash to do it while he is there and he may be able to do it and also clear it with the SS.
*edited by admin*
Wait what the...Im lost..so is it good or bad to installl a fan by yourself???
We need one for the alfresco too...now it has one of those china hat thingy on the roof with a globe fitted but I thought it was just something like removing the globe and sticking the fan in....

Please...
sacha - should be done by a licenced electrician.
You can install fans yourself, but as far as i know you have to already have a light in the spot u want the fan and u just replace it with the fan.
we did it ourself, my husband has done 3 now, replaced a light with a fan that has the light in the middle and they are good, no probs here at all.
I was just about to say, yeah my dad did this too, is no worries. Then remembered that my dad actually IS electrician.
I wouldn't self install anything like this. I'd only ever used an electrician. It's illegal for anyone but an electriacian to install them anyway, isn't it?
And liability if something does go wrong is a whole other ball game.....
no you can buy DIY fans, thats what we did as long as you are confident enough theres nothing that can go wrong and an electrician is not needed.
ok ok ok might let the electrician do the simple job and even pay him for that
Related
18/11/2023
level the ground with self-levelling or yellow tongue PB boa

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi guys, I want to do some floor levelling before laying the planks and am considering doing it with self-levelling or yellow tongue PB board. I am wondering which one…

15/10/2023
DIY fence gate motor installation? Easy?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I mean, I install them/sell them for a living so I haven't done DIY, unless you count the first one I installed lol. (electrician by trade). Usually a 6-8 hour job for…

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum