Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Is it ok to build a shed over an easement?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We have an easement at the back of our property which is 4.6m from the fence.

A sewer line runs through the easement (the sewer pipe is just over 5m deep).

We spoke to our council and they said the asset is owned by our water company, so we need to consult with them.

We spoke to our water company and they said they are happy for us to plant trees within the easement, they just asked us to avoid planting anything over the sewer tie (which is in the far corner of our property so easy to avoid).

We now want to build a small 4x 3 shed with a concrete foundation and we would like to position it over the easement (roughly 2m from the fence line).

Would the same rules above apply (ie. the ones relating to the trees)? Or is there any issues building a small shed over part of an easement?

Thanks.
I dont think you do concrete but not 100% sure.
Knowing which state, which council and which water utility you are talking about would be a good start.....

Stewie
Stewie D
Knowing which state, which council and which water utility you are talking about would be a good start.....

Stewie

We're based in Victoria, Western suburbs.
Lisa06 I think the main requirement is to obtain permission from the water company. I don't know the exact specifics of your water supplier, but for example Yarra Valley Water (Vic metro eastern suburbs) has the following webpage:

https://www.yvw.com.au/help-advice/deve ... r-easement

r_13
r_13
@Lisa06 I think the main requirement is to obtain permission from the water company. I don't know the exact specifics of your water supplier, but for example Yarra Valley Water (Vic metro eastern suburbs) has the following webpage:

https://www.yvw.com.au/help-advice/deve ... r-easement

r_13

Hi,

Thank you, we will do. We are with Western Water, so I will give them another call just to be sure.

EDIT: I found the relevant information on the Western Water website -thank you!
Write reply...

I found this on the Western Water website but I still don't fully understand what the best thing to do is.

Our sewer pipes (150mm diameter) are 5.5m deep and the Pipe Offset is 1.7m -I'm not sure what Pipe Offset means? Perhaps it's the distance of the pipe from the fence.

If the pipe is 1.7m from the fence, does that mean that we can build the shed 2.7m from the fence? (ie. 1m clearance from pipe).

We don't want to build the shed outside the easement because it is going to look pretty silly having a shed 4.6m from our fence line.
You may be limited in to what you can do. With our local water authority ( Sydney water ) you would have to...
a) get a contour survey- $1,200 min
b) get a structural engineer to design footings and slab and pier down past the zone of influence - $800
c) engage a water services coordinator to lease between client, engineer, Sydney Water and builder - $1,200
d) if building over or within 2m of the sewer , concrete encase the main sewer @ $1,100 per lineal m - in your case allow for 5M of sewer so allow $5,500 min
e) the cost of the piers @ probably about $100 per m so 5m deep allow for $500 per pier and about 8 piers - $4,000.

Then you can build your shed!
You should thank your lucky stars that Sydney Water isn't your water supplier.

Stewie
Stewie D
You may be limited in to what you can do. With our local water authority ( Sydney water ) you would have to...
a) get a contour survey- $1,200 min
b) get a structural engineer to design footings and slab and pier down past the zone of influence - $800
c) engage a water services coordinator to lease between client, engineer, Sydney Water and builder - $1,200
d) if building over or within 2m of the sewer , concrete encase the main sewer @ $1,100 per lineal m - in your case allow for 5M of sewer so allow $5,500 min
e) the cost of the piers @ probably about $100 per m so 5m deep allow for $500 per pier and about 8 piers - $4,000.

Then you can build your shed!
You should thank your lucky stars that Sydney Water isn't your water supplier.

Stewie

Oh my gosh!!! *thanks lucky stars*

We had a quote for the shed a little earlier today and the builder said to just build it over the easement!

We haven't been too lucky with this house so it's probably not worth the risk.

We won't build over the sewer pipe, but we haven't yet ruled out building 1m away from it.
If you go onto your water authorities website, you should look for a guideline like " building over or adjacent to our assets ". They should list what you can and can't do and the steps you need to take like documents and drawings.

Stewie
Related
20/04/2024
Shed Slab over Soakwell

General Discussion

One corner of my shed slab will be directly over a 1400mm diameter concrete soakwell. Is it feasible to fill the soakwell with concrete then lay the shed slab over the…

19/08/2023
Easement and building garage to boundary

Renovation + Home Improvement

You should be able to encase the sewer but you will need it designed and approved and access to lot 580 to do the work

15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum