Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Cornice on load bearing wall cracked every 600mm or so.

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I’m really stressing about cracks in my cornice. The cornice is on the load bearing wall. The cracks are 600mm wide or so. They are very consistent cracks, very evenly spaced out. The cornice is now presenting as a wavy cornice. Does anyone know what may be causing this? My dad has put a support wall up until we know what is going on. When the ceiling near the cracked cornice is pushed up with some force it doesn’t move. It appears the ceiling is solid as ever. But something must be causing these cracks. Any ideas guys? I’ve already emailed some builders and awaiting a call back on Monday.
post some photos
rephrase your description, if cracks were 600mm wide you could climb through them
It is most likely your house has a truss roof and the wall with damaged cornice is internal non load bearing wall. If you have slab heave or edge subsidence then bottom chords of trusses are pressing on the cornice. I have seen this many times however you have not provided sufficient details. If you want right answers and what to do about it you should invest in proper inspection and a report
aussieta
post some photos
rephrase your description, if cracks were 600mm wide you could climb through them

Sorry I’m very new to this, as you can probably tell haha, I meant the cracks appear every 600mm.
building-expert
It is most likely your house has a truss roof and the wall with damaged cornice is internal non load bearing wall. If you have slab heave or edge subsidence then bottom chords of trusses are pressing on the cornice. I have seen this many times however you have not provided sufficient details. If you want right answers and what to do about it you should invest in proper inspection and a report

Thank you. I have just arranged a structural engineer to inspect and report.
aussieta
post some photos

i think building-expert is on the money with the trusses being the issue
what is the roof story, colourbond, tiles, solar panels
is this a new build or been reroofed
This sounds like a slab heave issue to begin with, roof trusses providing load on a non-load bearing wall is just a consequence.
alexp79
This sounds like a slab heave issue to begin with, roof trusses providing load on a non-load bearing wall is just a consequence.

Yes most likely but if one side of the house has subsided it will have same effect.
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum