Join Login
Building ForumRental Property

How to seal gap under main door and door frames

Page 1 of 1
Hi all. Wr moved into a newly built house in Sydney for 1 week and having a lot of spider issues. I’d really appreciate your suggestions on two things

1. There is a gap under the main door and i see large spiders in the foyer almost everyday! The first photo marked as A shows the gap under door and also gap at the corner of doorframe. Any ideas how I can permanently seal this under door gap ? I tried the foamy sticky door seal stuff from bunnings which came off everytime we open the doors

2. There are gaps between the doorframes and fall/floor around every door in the house. How do I seal the gaps at the bottom of door-frames? Any full proof ideas? Every time I vacuum, I get tiny creepy spiders coming out from these gaps

PS: already requested the RE to look into these gaps but if they dont do anything, i want to i form the owner and get this fixed myself. I am an arachnophobic so I cant stay like this too long ☹️

PS2: pest control booked for next week! But i think i need to fix this gap otherwise pest control wont help much

External doors should be fitted with weather seals to keep water out and stop air convection. Properly fitted seals will keep spiders out.
Internal doors usually have gap at the bottom for heating return air.
I too having same issue , I build with burbank Sunray 2500 and my front door is solid timber door which had too many issues since first day and after few visit Done by builder they ask to put weather sealer at the bottom to us , they can’t help with that.
My door is 1.8 m door (900 mm each panel) I think
Can someone please advise door seal which would be appropriate for timber door
That's burbanks job not your secondly all external facing doors must be painted with a weather proofing paint like oil basedpaint and all door that are in wet areas must be done same way and its burbanks responsability to put a weatherseal under the door, look I've been fighting Burbank for 4 years at vcat and we has a defect inspection report done and as it states all external doors must have painted with weatherproof paint that will last at least 3 years and the weatherseal on front door or rear door must be supplied by Burbank when they order the doors there is no excuse why you have to do it. Read the Australian Standard's and it states it very clearly builders responsability. Don't let Burbank distroy your dreams stand your ground don't pay the stage payment unless they give you what you paid for . Good luck.
That's burbanks job not your secondly all external facing doors must be painted with a weather proofing paint like oil basedpaint and all door that are in wet areas must be done same way and its burbanks responsability to put a weatherseal under the door, look I've been fighting Burbank for 4 years at vcat and we has a defect inspection report done and as it states all external doors must have painted with weatherproof paint that will last at least 3 years and the weatherseal on front door or rear door must be supplied by Burbank when they order the doors there is no excuse why you have to do it. Read the Australian Standard's and it states it very clearly builders responsability. Don't let Burbank distroy your dreams stand your ground don't pay the stage payment unless they give you what you paid for . Good luck.
Mauromario

It's funny you say oil based paint when the industry is turning to water based enamel, I personally don't know if this new paint will stand up to the external weather or wet areas like the oil based one does. Time will tell I suppose.
faykis
Hi all. Wr moved into a newly built house in Sydney for 1 week and having a lot of spider issues. I’d really appreciate your suggestions on two things

1. There is a gap under the main door and i see large spiders in the foyer almost everyday! The first photo marked as A shows the gap under door and also gap at the corner of doorframe. Any ideas how I can permanently seal this under door gap ? I tried the foamy sticky door seal stuff from bunnings which came off everytime we open the doors

2. There are gaps between the doorframes and fall/floor around every door in the house. How do I seal the gaps at the bottom of door-frames? Any full proof ideas? Every time I vacuum, I get tiny creepy spiders coming out from these gaps

PS: already requested the RE to look into these gaps but if they dont do anything, i want to i form the owner and get this fixed myself. I am an arachnophobic so I cant stay like this too long ☹️

PS2: pest control booked for next week! But i think i need to fix this gap otherwise pest control wont help much

Faykis,

The National Construction Code, part 3.12.3.3 states that all external doors must be sealed. If you are in Sydney, you are in zone 5 or 6. As such it is mandated that the external doors are fully sealed.
Hey Fakis

Have you had your maintenance inspection?
If you have not sure Burbank will help you, particularly with your internal doors.

If you haven’t had your maintenance inspection or a mid maintenance I would recommend you have a private consultant walk through house with you just before the inspection and stay with you for the inspection to help you locate defects and discuss with the maintenance rep from the builder.

You can visit a Burbank display home that has a similar front door. I am sure it will have a seal.
I have a single 900mm door and have a weather seal, so cannot see why a seal cannot be added.

If you are In Victoria- have you read this guide?
https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... s-2015.pdf

External doors - as per above guide
‘“Windows and doors are defective if they are not sealed in accordance with the requirements of the Building Code of Australia, where required.’ “

I believe External Doors will also usually have a weather strip/seal around the sides to maintain 6 star rating. There are set adhesive types of strips.

“8.04 Internal door clearances
Unless documented otherwise, the installation of doors is defective if, within three months
of completion:
a) clearances between door leaves and frames, and between adjacent door leaves are not uniform
b) clearances between door leaves, or between a door leaf and the frame, is less than 2 mm or greater than 5 mm in width.
Unless additional clearance is required for removable toilet doors or air ventilation, a clearance between the door and the floor finish is defective if it is greater than 20 mm after installation of the floor covering.
Note: Clearances under doors will generally be determined by the nominated floor coverings”
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

You are here
Building ForumRental Property
Home
Pros
Forum