Join Login
Building ForumRental Property

Smoke alarm and electrical compliance test on rental prop.

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering about your strategy in having compliance test done for Smoke alarm and Electrical.
My rental property (in VIC) doesn't have Gas connection so I'll leave that one out.
The real estate agent recommended me to subscribe for Detector Inspector's annual safer home package.
However, the compliance test requirement for electrical is for every 2 years and for the smoke alarm is every year.
I just don't feel good about paying annual subscription and I'm thinking of getting them tested by separate qualified technician.

What do you guys think and recommend? Will it end up being more expensive if I get separate technicians to do compliance test?
1. Inspection on both arranged through your Property Manager by one contractor.
or
2. Separately engaging 2 seperate contractors yourself, both of whom will charge seperate call out fees, and end up costing you more for exactly the same outcome?

Either way you can claim it as a deduction but if you have a Property Manager why not let them do it.
Related
4/02/2024
Soil Test and Compliance

General Discussion

Hi Building Expert, Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated, there is also a code of conduct for building surveyors which they need to follow as well. I am looking…

31/05/2024
Roof Plumbing - no compliance certificate ?

General Discussion

Hi Sillysausage1900, Hope all is well. I came across this forum as Im somewhat same situation with you regarding Roof Plumbing certificate requirement. Im requesting a…

15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

You are here
Building ForumRental Property
Home
Pros
Forum