Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Recommend some Contemporary LED Ceiling Oysters

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I’m after some advice on LED ceiling oysters please

We bought a new place and it’s got the usual mishmash of random ceiling lights.

I’m after something in a slimline contemporary design (round not square, with a flat-ish surface not the big curved oysters).

Would also be good to have options re size (eg 300mm and 400mm version or thereabouts), brightness and light colour so I can keep the style consistent around the house.

Looking to replace Lounge, Kitchen, Dining and Bedrooms.

I don’t really have the space for pendants.

All the stuff at Bunnings looks and feels cheap.

All the stuff at Beacon looks like leftover stock from the 90s which is what I’ve already got

I’ve looked at the Domus/Martec/SAL stuff and again it’s all pretty 90s design.

I saw some modern designs from Southern Cross Illumination but they’re pushing $260 for a small light which seems excessive.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Chris
Chrism007
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Go smart and get into the Philips Hue ecosystem. They have light fittings, including oysters and pendants, and then you can start adding downlights, bulbs, lamps and light strips. Buy a few Amazon Echo Minis (Amazon have a special at the moment of two gen 1 for $49) and you can get into voice control too. Not cheap, but oh so versatile.

Not convinced that controlling each individual light is a way to go (Philips Hue way).
Much versatile solution would be to use Wi-Fi enabled light switches instead (and use any lights you want). They are quite affordable those days.

Also when comparing Google Home vs Amazon Echo, I would go with the first one any time of the day and night. But may be it is just me.
alexp79
Not convinced that controlling each individual light is a way to go (Philips Hue way).
Much versatile solution would be to use Wi-Fi enabled light switches instead (and use any lights you want). They are quite affordable those days.

Also when comparing Google Home vs Amazon Echo, I would go with the first one any time of the day and night. But may be it is just me.

Philips Hue are WiFi enabled, but I see your point. The problem is the OP asked for recommendations on Oyster lights, not on smart systems, so that is why I recommended as I did. Installing WiFi switches, while a good idea (although very limited in their look) is a much larger undertaking than replacing just the oyster lights (which he or she would still need to do).

I have trialled all three virtual assistants - Apple's Siri, Amazon's Alexa and Google's Assistant - and in my home environment with the devices I have, Alexa wins, Siri is used for specific tasks (and in the car), and Google was next to useless.
Thanks Arcadelt,

Should have mentioned I already have 5 Echos around the house and in the process of installing ZigBee light switches.

The problem with the Phillips Hue is you need to keep the light switch set to "on" in order to use the voice control and with little kids in the house thats just not going to happen

My question isn't so much about the wifi globe tech, its more about the physical housing/design of ceiling oysters.

All the ones i've managed to find look like they're left over from the 90s ... there has got to be some contemporary/modern/slimline LED Ceiling Oysters out there somewhere??? Was hoping someone might have some advice on where to look?

As some style inspiration only this is the unit from Southern Cross Illumination but they sell for ~$260 each

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0552/ ... 1529581143

This is the Xiaomi Yeelight unit but of course these units aren't certified for use in Australia (thats a whole other discussion).

https://image2.geekbuying.com/content_p ... 809650.jpg

Thanks

Chris
I have been looking in the Sydney area and found these. Pretty sure they are Havit lighting, but I could be wrong. It's 30cm wide led. Comes in other sizes. This was in a store at Drummoyne called Concept Lighting. Really helpful staff too!

Related
8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum