Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

International Light Fittings

Page 1 of 1
I have no idea about electrical things, which I'm sure will be clearly evident from my question, but... If I was to buy a light fitting from another country and have it shipped over and installed by an electrician would it work or is the wiring different? Sorry in advance for a silly question.
kjane
I have no idea about electrical things, which I'm sure will be clearly evident from my question, but... If I was to buy a light fitting from another country and have it shipped over and installed by an electrician would it work or is the wiring different? Sorry in advance for a silly question.

My 2 cents and I am not an electrician :
Hmm without knowing what the item is...it's a very generic query and there cannot be a definitive answer. Consider following hiccup situations :
1) if from USA then default voltage is 110. So unless the fitting has an universal power adaptor (like the one a laptop has)..then the fitting won't work
2) if the fitting is not as per AU standards....it could be a problem enforcing any insurance claim
3) would you get any replacement spares locally ?
4) does the fitting require a specific type of electrical setup that your house does not support (e.g DC current or 3 phase power)

To mitigate the possible risks, you may want to ask the electrician prior to placing an order.
Thanks for your very detailed reply IamSAM, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Much appreciated!
Related
30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

5/12/2023
Rainwater Tanks not filling in light rain

General Discussion

That was always going to be a challenge and a test of patience. Full marks to your mate. Did you discuss the wet area near the trampoline?

6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum