Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Bedroom lighting

Page 1 of 1
We are doing our lighting after handover.

After nearly 8 months thinking I am still not sure how to light our bedrooms LED downlights vs pendant/ ceiling mounted light in the centre of the room. thw rest of the house will be LED downlights

Our ceiling height is 3m an the bedrooms are all around 3x4m in size. We are going to go clipsal LED downlights. Would 4 be overkill? We will probably install a dimmer as well. We have prvisions for fans but will not be installing them anywhere except in our main bedroom where we have a beautiful bigssfan bamboo haiku fan without a light so we will be going 4 leds.

Thanks for your help.
4 will be overkill, but the most beautiful soliton

800mm out from the cornices will be perfect to remove the stroboscopic effect
toddzilla
4 will be overkill, but the most beautiful soliton

800mm out from the cornices will be perfect to remove the stroboscopic effect

Totally agree.
We have:
Bed 1 - 5m x 4.5m
Beds 2-5 - 4m x 3.4m
All ceilings all are 2.7m

All have 4 LED downlights about 700-800mm from each corner with a fan in the middle of each - no strobe effect at all.

Dimmers are a must have, suggest Clipsal's Integrated switch/dimmer (1 push bottom does everything!)
http://www.cleverhome.com.au/automation/Clipsal-Integrally-Switched-Universal-Dimmer-Push-Button.pdf

Good luck!
Definitely sexy dimmer

But beware of wiring configuration with neons

Speak to your electrician to make sure he understands what's required to make it work properly
Well Bedroom Lighting is one of the most concern things in our home interior, with proper wiring having energy efficient LED bulb.
Sorry I meant to say traditional impress/Saturn mechs are led on load (lights)off

These are led on load on

So by chance you have a switch for a on/off non dimmed light and a push button dimmer on the same plate the led indication is the opposite a simple problem solved with a neutral at the switch

You have mentioned that you will be using Clipsal down lights, excellent choice I have come across other down lights doth cheaper and more expensive that will flicker on these lights

Good luck
Would LED Downlights 600mm off the wall be too close?
Not to close , but will just light more of the wall that's all
To be honest, I wouldn't agonise too much over bedroom lighting (except maybe the master bedroom). I would spend more money and put more thought into the lighting through the kitchen, living areas, bathrooms/ensuites and landscaping lighting. These are the areas where good lighting is going to make a big difference to the feeling of the space and to your experience of living there.

I think an oyster light in the centre of the bedroom would be fine. For your master, sure, the BAF haiku is great (we have one in our master bedroom, it is brilliant).

When looking for downlights, try and find something that has around a 40-60 degree beam angle, a deep reflector, and no opal lens/diffuser on the front. The opal diffused type (which are by far the most common found in residential lighting stores around the $20-40 mark) are cheap for a reason - they are a very poor design and are very high-glare. Spend a bit more to get a well-designed downlight (say in the $40-70 range) and you will be glad you did.

I'll give you the hot tip from a lighting design engineer - good lighting is all about quality over quantity. Use good luminaires, and focus the light where you need it. Don't waste money by illuminating things you don't need to. In a kitchen, light up the cupboards and bench tops - don't waste light by illuminating the floor. In a bedroom, light up the wardrobe and bed head area for reading. In a living area, light up the artwork and architectural design features, and maybe some downlights for reading. In a bathroom, light up the vanity area, you don't need much light at all in the other parts of the room.

A light of people (including a lot of engineers, architects and less-experienced lighting designers) get too caught up in providing lots of light everywhere. You only put it where you need it, and how much you need.
We have pretty simple bedroom lighting.

We have a fan in each - and the fans have a light - not a great one - but good enough for basic needs. However - above the bed we have semi-spot LED - quite strong - excellent for reading.

We also have our bedside lamps.

Unlike the kitchen, lounge etc - I'd recommend fewer lights in bedrooms.
Hi Saint Mike, would u mind sharing your lighting plan? Along with the source of your LED and other electric items?

Thanks

sudu
Hi Saint Mike, would u mind sharing your lighting plan? Along with the source of your LED and other electric items?
Thanks

It s awhile back now - 2-3 years.

But picture a square-ish bedroom - ensuite off it. Quite large. One wall - north - glass sliding doors to outside area. Bedhead to blank wall.

Fan is central to room - with globe. Spot/LED is mid-point of bed - above pillows. All buttons etc at doorway. Pretty simple.

Not sure what you mean by "source". We have "white" light LEDs. Quite strong - but all on dimmers.

Hope this helps.
Sorry - do you mean where we bought them ? World of Lights at Morayfield in Qld. Martec brand - they have a net site. http://www.martecaustralia.com.au/ Shadowline series.
Hi SaintM yes I was expecting the shop or website name. Thanks

OK. Hope it helps. We've found the white light very good. We rarely have all our lights on. They are on dimmers and gimbals - so moveable.

We've found them to be very good overall.
I prefer ceiling mounted dim lights. It will give a special attraction to your bedroom. Always use LED type lights as energy consumption is less for such lights compared to other light. Hence the electricity bill will also be less.
I agree with one dimmable oyster light in the bedroom and you can use lamps for mood. Because if you really think about it, how much time do you spend in the bedroom with the lights on?
Related
30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

24/09/2023
Flooring option for bedroom and passage

Flooring & Floor Covering

Newbie question for flooring options. We are thinking of changing the flooring for bedrooms and passage area. Last time we looked at flooring options was almost 8years…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum