Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Island bench lights

Page 1 of 1
We've settled on this pendant x 3 for our island. Island 3m x 1.2m deep. Ceiling height raked 3.6 to 2.7 (2.7 over island). Room fairly large.

It comes in 18cm diameter and 28cm. Unsure if 18 is too small, but whether 28 will be too big? Just want to get it right in terms of the scale of the room.

Smaller bulb is LED 2 watts (equiv to 20 x 3 lights) and larger is LED equivalent to 40 watt x 3 lights.

I know 28cm pretty big for a pendant but they are glass so not sure whether could get away with bigger just dont want them to look small.

We will have another pendant over the stair void but none elsewhere.

Custom knockdown rebuild Newcastle NSW
viewtopic.php?t=78271
I would get three and cluster them one end of the bench at different heights. have normal down lighting for the rest of the bench
We have 300cm Long Island by 90cm and we're looking at going with 18cm wide pendents. We're looking at more of a solid concrete style fitting but like you said, because yours are glass and you also have 120cm wide island, you might be able to get away with the larger type.

iverson_iii
We have 300cm Long Island by 90cm and we're looking at going with 18cm wide pendents. We're looking at more of a solid concrete style fitting but like you said, because yours are glass and you also have 120cm wide island, you might be able to get away with the larger type.

Yeah I bought the smaller ones in a rush but I think I need to swap them. The room itself is quite big too plus the island is 60mm edge.. Should not have been so hasty that's the thing about buying online.. Sending them back is a pain

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Ponzu
I would get three and cluster them one end of the bench at different heights. have normal down lighting for the rest of the bench

That's a nice idea a little different to the norm.. Could put them down the "eating" end, ultimately though I don't think the lights or kitchen are high end enough to carry the asymmetry

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Leksie5000
Ponzu

That's a nice idea a little different to the norm.. Could put them down the "eating" end, ultimately though I don't think the lights or kitchen are high end enough to carry the asymmetry

viewtopic.php?t=78271

Spacing them out across the bench looks tacky though. Perhaps they might serve better as feature lighting elsewhere? Bedroom pendants, in the hall etc. lovely lights, just think that they would be cheapened in the usual configuration
Ponzu
Leksie5000
Ponzu

viewtopic.php?t=78271

Spacing them out across the bench looks tacky though. Perhaps they might serve better as feature lighting elsewhere? Bedroom pendants, in the hall etc. lovely lights, just think that they would be cheapened in the usual configuration

Yeah, I agree it's kind of overdone but I think with the right light it doesn't have to necessarily be tacky. That's why I went for glass I guess.

Thing is at the larger light, it's equivalent of 120 watts across the lights so would actually be fairly useful task lighting as well.

Spacing them out also has a practical consideration in terms of task lighting.

I'll have to bring them along once the bench is in and experiment a bit, I think they've already roughed it in though..

That's where I wonder to put two instead of 3 so it's less f the norm. I did spend quite some time looking for a large rectangular hanging light instead of the usual pendants for the reasons you say but didn't have any luck.

I feel clustering them is risky in terms of shadow though, form follows function.

viewtopic.php?t=78271
There is a reason for three. Ever heard that three is the magic number? http://designshack.net/articles/layouts ... us-number/

If you go with the lights across the bench, don't use two, just do the original plan. Two will look wonky unless asymmetrical down one side and at different heights
Ponzu
There is a reason for three. Ever heard that three is the magic number? http://designshack.net/articles/layouts ... us-number/

If you go with the lights across the bench, don't use two, just do the original plan. Two will look wonky unless asymmetrical down one side and at different heights

Yeah I know, three and odd numbers are generally there for a reason. It can work in some cases but again, tricky.

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Ponzu

Yeah I know, three and odd numbers are generally there for a reason. It can work in some cases but again, tricky. Tho, rules are made to be broken, see this project below I am aware of and found on Houzz. Not a great pic. Its cocoa pendant x 2, a good size light though. I'm no guru.. Just stick with the tried and true I think! You need either a smaller island or big pendants to have any hope of making two work, to minimise the larger air gap.

viewtopic.php?t=78271
More has gone into the design of that kitchen than just the number of lights though, and elements of three are present in that kitchen throughout. The colours and materials for one. Sure design rules can be broken, but are typically broken by those familiar with the concepts. I'm sure whatever you do with you lights will be lovely
Hmmm can you post a pic of the globe you will get? Just that we have glass pendant lights and my husband complains of the glare add the ones we had were too bright! And putting in the 25w Edison ones are too dim for the kitchen.

Yeah I worry the larger light would be too bright with the glass fitting.. These are 5 watt LEDs at 2200k so a warm white, 5 watt is equivalent to a 40 watt globe.. It's exactly this globe with the look of the old fashioned filaments

viewtopic.php?t=78271
I think you'll be disappointed with 2 watt LED globes, especially in a pendant like that where the light output is in all directions. I think you'd want at least 60 watt equivalents. Personally I prefer pendants that direct the light downward for kitchen benches and dining tables. It cuts out glare and it directs the light down to where you need it.

But I wouldn't agonize over it, it's one of the easiest things to change later if you don't like it.
1960sModernistHome
I think you'll be disappointed with 2 watt LED globes, especially in a pendant like that where the light output is in all directions. I think you'd want at least 60 watt equivalents. Personally I prefer pendants that direct the light downward for kitchen benches and dining tables. It cuts out glare and it directs the light down to where you need it.

But I wouldn't agonize over it, it's one of the easiest things to change later if you don't like it.

Yeah we've swapped them for the bigger pendants and wattage! Thanks for your reply

viewtopic.php?t=78271
We went with 4 large glass pendants over our island bench (3.45m long). May sound a lot however the area is quite open. We also have a skillion ceiling.

To small over a large bench doesn't look right either. I suggest you measure up the island to scale, maybe on the floor/ table etc and place a cut out (represent each light) the same width as your lights on top and see if it looks ok. I hope that makes sense. You get a good idea of symmetry that way.

We love the glass lights. We didn't want the lights to be the first thing people saw in the space. We wanted the view to be the star

You get 360 degrees of light, with a glass pendant, which is great because I didn't want down lights in this space. The four lights are also on a dimmer.

Good luck and try and enjoy the process
Thanks! Yes I totally get what you mean. We ended up just ordering the larger ones instead which I think will work better. I love the glass lights too. We've also just ordered a light for our void so it's getting exciting! Not sure how it will look but we can always return it.

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Related
7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

6/07/2023
Holman deck lights

Lighting + Lighting Design

So I'm just reading up on this ecosystem of lights. I'm planning on putting deck lights along the outside edge of a large deck. Will need about 3 packs (18 lights) plus…

18/05/2024
ceiling hook to use to hang Xmas lights under Eaves

Building A New House

Which ceiling hook to use to hang Xmas lights under Eaves in 1st floor in 2 storey façade (no…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum