Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

How many downlights?

Page 1 of 1
I had previously not considered the use of downlights as I assumed they were way too expensive, but they now seem not to be.

I want LED ones but not whole rows of them. I am thinking of the following, but am not sure the number will be sufficient...

1. One right above the shower in a tiny ensuite, as I hate dark showers. Are these dangerous, with all the steam and water? The other lights in the room would be one pendant / mini chandelier just above / behind the vanity, and hopefully two ambient wall lights.

2. The living area is fairly open plan and I want a nice modest chandelier as well as a ceiling fan, but two downlights strategically placed would be good, except the ceiling here is stippled. Will this make having downlights either look stupid or be impossible to install?

3. The converted garage (home office) will have a ceiling fan but it's quite long and I don't know what other light options there might be. I was thinking of a light / fan combo but this may not be bright enough. Half the ceiling is concrete but will have ceiling sheets over it, and the other half is white ceiling sheets between wooden beams.

Thank you!
We've got 2 LED downlights in all the rooms that we have downlights in, except the main kitchen area has four, they are all bright enough. The main living rooms have two dome lights and a ceiling fan with light. The kitchen is really bright, and we often use only the pendants or range to light it if there is no 'proper' cooking going on.
Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

14/12/2023
How many builders are on this forum?

General Discussion

They already have two well known ones (HIA & MBA) that many new home buyers mistakenly think are regulatory bodies that Joe Public can complain to.

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum