Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

LED Downlights Perth Recommendations?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

I'm looking at getting LED downlights installed after my house is finished building.
Can anybody recommend some good places to go to in perth? So far I have been to one place and they are charging $50 per light to install when the light only costs $30! Not sure if this is reasonable?
MLEC want to charge me $85 per light ( include downlight). I don't know if they are good or not, but they did say if I install a lot there will be discounts. I haven't contact them back yet because I am still very far from installing down light. I will need around 42 downlights
Hi powerrangers.
$50 per light is a very good price. You consider if the light costs $30 the other 20 includes their labor charge to mark them out, cut the holes and crawl around in the roof to wire them all. If they are also including cable etc in that price then they can't be making very much.
The standard price for supply and install of led downlights in vic is between $70-95 per light.
It never ceases to amaze me how people complain about tradespeople pricing. People won't complain about spending $80 for a 5 minute consultation with a G.P. but will complain about a couple of hundred dollars for an electrician to drive half an hour across town to their house, spend half a day crawling around in a ceiling, using $100 worth of materials, then packing up, cleaning up, and drive across town to the next job.

Trust me when I say that $80 to supply and install a light fitting is extremely good value.
i've been looking for a good place to buy LED lights from for my new house. lucky me that got suggested for CherryLEDand good thing is they have an online calculator where i could estimate the costing for whole setup and can also compare that for other lights.
You can also checkout this place! Worked for me, you might also get some helps here

http://www.cherryled.com.au/savings-calculator/
Hi,

Expect to pay between $15 - $25 per light to be installed from scratch. The tradesmen will need to mark the lights out, drill the holes, after making sure there are no obstructions, wire and clip the cables, strip and fit off the downlights, and of course pack up and clean.

$50 including the light is reasonable. However there are some great downlights online that are reasonably priced, and can be sent for free to your areas, meaning you can afford to spend a bit more on the installation.

I hope this helps.
Hi
I believe that paying about $65 should be the bare minimum you should pay for each downlight to be supplied and installed. Anything less than that would be very *******. Otherwise You will be compromising with the quality of the LED and workmanship. What I would recommend is to get an led that covers a wider angel as well as higher lumens. In many cases it would mean it down light would be a little bigger than normal but u will need less lights. Too many downlight will make the ceiling look like as if it is raining. Hope this helps.
I agree $50 per light is a good price including the down lights. Can you share the contacts?
My interpretation was $30 + $50??? In which case I would say that is reasonable.

$50 including the light ($30 + $20) is ridiculously cheap and I don't know how a suitably licenced electrical contractor could work for prices that cheap and be able to afford to eat.
Just be aware that the lights are of good quality. Maybe ask the electrician to show you the type he wants to install?
Curious about mlec, so cheap!

i am going to buy my own lights, I am thinking of getting
the Sal sunny http://www.electriciansupplies.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3600.

How much should I pay per down light install? I have 42 downlights and a few wall lights and ceiling lights.
My builder said I will have to deal with the electrical contractor that do the wiring directly.
Assuming it is a new house, in my experience "per point" pricing is usually in the range of $50-$80. This includes wiring, switching, installation and circuitry (but does not include supply of the light fitting).
1960sModernistHome
Assuming it is a new house, in my experience "per point" pricing is usually in the range of $50-$80. This includes wiring, switching, installation and circuitry (but does not include supply of the light fitting).

the circuitry are already there even the dimmer switch are provided by the builder are in my contract. He only have to install the light $50 - $80 is so expensive.
No, $50-80 is average. I know this because I work in the industry and I used to be an electrical contractor before I became an engineer. When I was in electrical contracting we worked for a bunch of home builders and the "per point" price for a light point was $60+GST. That was 10 years ago.

You can't just "install the light". If there is no cable to it it will not work. They also need to conduct mandatory testing, clean up after themselves, cut the hole, fit off the socket for the light, supply and install the cables, clips, socket.... then they have a business to run.

Do you whinge to your doctor when he charges you $80 for a 5 minute consultation?
1960sModernistHome
No, $50-80 is average. I know this because I work in the industry and I used to be an electrical contractor before I became an engineer. When I was in electrical contracting we worked for a bunch of home builders and the "per point" price for a light point was $60+GST. That was 10 years ago.

You can't just "install the light". If there is no cable to it it will not work. They also need to conduct mandatory testing, clean up after themselves, cut the hole, fit off the socket for the light, supply and install the cables, clips, socket.... then they have a business to run.

Do you whinge to your doctor when he charges you $80 for a 5 minute consultation?

Do you actually ready my post? The circuitry are there even the trimmer are provided, all he need to do replace the stand light point with the down lights. I can understand that $50-$80 if they have to run from scratch. but my situation they don't.
Ah right, sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant you were adding extra points on top of your standard inclusion of points. My mistake.

Back when I was in the game, our $60 per point included installation of the customer supplied lights whether they were standard lights or downlights - the time taken to install a downlight is about the same as to fit an oyster light or wall light. The only time we would charge extra was if the lights were big fancy pendants or chandeliers because they took much longer to install.

Although if the electrician has already wired them for standard lights and put timber battens in, they would need to get up in the ceiling and remove the timber battens so they can drill the hole out for the downlight. This would take them a bit of time and mucking around so it would be fair for them to charge you maybe $20 or thereabouts per fitting that would be reasonable I would think.
Sorry for crashing the thread. I don't want to double create the post. We are also looking for an electrician to supply and install for us in Perth. We also need someone who can advice because the required number of downlight depends on the LED downlight specification. So far, I haven't had much luck of getting quotes......and the house is about to be handed over.
sofia14
Sorry for crashing the thread. I don't want to double create the post. We are also looking for an electrician to supply and install for us in Perth. We also need someone who can advice because the required number of downlight depends on the LED downlight specification. So far, I haven't had much luck of getting quotes......and the house is about to be handed over.

Take your house plan to the light shop so they can help you with the lay out of the downlight. I rather buy my own downlights instead of getting the electrician install as a package. The brands that I went for are Brightgreen d900 classic and sal sunny light ecogem. I have a best deal on brightgreen d900 $58ish each x 36 and the ecogem is around $26 each. I bought d900 on ebay and the ecogem is at electrician supply website.

I will get the builder electrician to install them for me. My builder allow me to deal with them directly.
Related
13/06/2023
Sound Proof Modular Fence recommendations

Outdoor Living

Hi We have a road close to our place and only an old flimsy wooden fence between us and the Neighbour closest to the road. Any ideas on a sound proof modular fence. Like…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum