Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Who does the lighting plan?!

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Sorry to ask what's probably a very basic question, but I am currently in the process of having a custom house designed here in Canberra, through a building designer - and they have advised that they don't generally do lighting plans. He suggested that during the rough-in stage, we just go around and point out to an electrician where we want lights?

The house will have a combination of raked ceilings (including above the kitchen) as well as normal flat ceilings and I am interested in also including some level of basic automation in the house, i.e. for lighting, heating and possibly security. I really have no idea about lighting, but understand that it's a fairly important consideration...

So my question is, who would I speak to develop a lighting/electrical plan?? Do I go through a 'lighting company' or do some 'home automation' experts also do lighting plans?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks a lot!
First…..I would have all your lights selected that you want to use throughout your home.

Then call a reputable electrician, don’t get me wrong here, but some care, and some don’t!
So you want one that cares about your lighting and how it performs!

My first electrician was asked very important questions, “I don’t want shadows in my kitchen, can you put the lights so they don’t cast shadows?”

Did I get that……NO!!!!
But I got a lot of shadows!!!
Not safe for a kitchen.

So getting the right electrician is important! Show him the type of lights you have chosen throughout your home and what is the best plan for those lights.

Ask at a lighting store, they should know some good sparkies for you!
Michelle
First…..I would have all your lights selected that you want to use throughout your home.

Then call a reputable electrician, don’t get me wrong here, but some care, and some don’t!
So you want one that cares about your lighting and how it performs!

My first electrician was asked very important questions, “I don’t want shadows in my kitchen, can you put the lights so they don’t cast shadows?”

Did I get that……NO!!!!
But I got a lot of shadows!!!
Not safe for a kitchen.

So getting the right electrician is important! Show him the type of lights you have chosen throughout your home and what is the best plan for those lights.

Ask at a lighting store, they should know some good sparkies for you!

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the reply! We'll certainly be trying to get a good sparkie who knows what he's on about and isn't trying to rip us off!

When you say "have all your lights selected" - that's really half the problem!! I wouldn't know what type of lights we should have..whether they're halogen downlights, fluorescent lights etc etc...i wouldn't know what the best option would be!

I guess I just expected to have someone tell us what should go where etc and then we'd just have to change/edit anything slightly!!
I would take yourself off to a BIG lighting store…..then USE the talents of the staff there.

Take your floor plan with you, and get them to advise you on what would be the best for what areas in your home.
Thanks Michelle, I think I'll do that!
I am going throught this at the moment
the clipsal web site has a brochure you can order and a "planner" as well.
lots of help there
Jo
zonk
I am going throught this at the moment
the clipsal web site has a brochure you can order and a "planner" as well.
lots of help there
Jo

Hi Jo

Thanks very much! I had a quick look at the Clipsal site, but didn't notice the "planner"! I'll have another look!

If you don't mind me asking, are you 'automating' your whole house or just lighting??

Thanks again!
http://www.clipsal.com.au/consumer/index.html
we are not automating...but the info is there for your automation
I needed this as I am an owner builder...got to create my own electrical plan
jo
oh, I forgot to say, the planner is included in the brochure I have provided the link to.
BuildingACT
Hi

So my question is, who would I speak to develop a lighting/electrical plan?? Do I go through a 'lighting company' or do some 'home automation' experts also do lighting plans?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks a lot!

Like any trade or profession, you end up with people with talents in different area’s, so the question you’re asking is a bit like a needle in a hay stack with stumbling across someone that can do justice to both area’s for you.

IMO you’d be better looking for the contractor to design the automation first, asking for previous jobs they’ve done and even asking some of their previous clients their thoughts on the installed product. Most of these contractors will have access to lighting consultants through their suppliers, and in some cases the contractor maybe fairly apt at it themselves.

Depending on the brand of automation you’re looking at the supplier can give you a list of installers in your area, and some of these suppliers also have their own lighting companies which the contractor can call on for assistance.

Also remember you need to do the electrical and data layouts as well.

Good Luck!
Hi there

Lighting! Lighting! Lighting! Lighting! Lighting! Lighting! Lighting!

This is such a tricky topic. Not many people place too much emphasis on lights, but this is changing!

People have started to realise that lighting creates both mood and atmosphere. The most important issues to consider with lighting are:
- Shadows,
- Light output colour,
- Enough lighting, but not too much.
- The use of dimmers.
- Integrating the use of ceiling lights, wall lights and floor & table lamps.

Utilising the above list correctly, will lead to a more efficient friendly home, lower running costs, and an ambience second to none!

Hope this helps.
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

9/02/2024
Long hallway lighting suggestions

Building A New House

What? It's a lighting question, the control joint is only needed at 12m centres, a bulkhead or change of direction will suffice as a 'break' in the ceiling, just make…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum