Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Mounting options for heavy pendant lights

Page 1 of 1
We are planning some large pendants, and need some advice on what strengthening is required on floor joists, and also ceiling trusses.

The dining one is 110kg, but there is a steel beam across the area that I want, so that's not much problem. the below ones are also mounted in floor joist areas:

120cm wide, 75kg, round, with a frame that will need to be attached (see photo).

180x34, rectangular, 90kg, supported by two chains (see photo).

80cm wide, 40kg, round, with a frame that will need to be attached (see photo).

Then there is one upstairs, mounted on ceiling roof truss (only one of these):
80cm wide, 40kg, round, with a frame that will need to be attached (see photo).
or
120cm wide, 75kg, round, with a frame that will need to be attached (see photo).

120cm:

80cm:

Rectangular 180cm x 34cm:

Chain mounts for above:

200 x 100cm (mounting on steel lintel):

I had some suggestions from another site for joists, but nothing for trusses:

The frames are mounted first, and then the plates are attached.

Note:
The plaster is already on, so this would require making a few holes, which can be patched and will be covered by most of the pendants.

Professional opinions please?
OK since no one wants to give away their secrets, then maybe one of you experienced electricians can provide a quote for the job?
Sparkyf
OK since no one wants to give away their secrets, then maybe one of you experienced electricians can provide a quote for the job?

So I added some thick timber and spread the weight support to the top of the ijoists, and screwed the frame into those with 10g x 75mm wood screws. It's all up now!
Related
7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

23/02/2024
Am I too heavy for the roof cavity?

General Discussion

Firstly, if your house is still under builder's warranty (10 years in Victoria) you should have no need to crawl into roof space but let the builder handle it, unless you…

28/11/2023
Heavy windows with bent reveals

Windows & Doors

What size are the windows, double or single glazed, can I have a pic of the full windows inside & out? If you can see packers please take a pic.

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum