Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Mounting heavy pendants

Page 1 of 1
What is the weight capacity of modern house ceiling beams (see photo).

I see they use metal strips to mount the plaster on, but if we can screw into the beams and spread the weight over two or three (they are spaced at 450mm), can they support weight such as 40 to 80Kg? And also planning in some upstairs on the ceiling roof trusses but I can always get extra noggins added there as the roof is accessible.

We are planning some that are 1M wide plate and have a mounting frame that attaches first.
No lights are heavy enough to cause structural concerns. Each beam can take heaps. You normally you would have a piece of timber between two, flush with the furring channels do you can screw into it.
Pulse
No lights are heavy enough to cause structural concerns. Each beam can take heaps. You normally you would have a piece of timber between two, flush with the furring channels do you can screw into it.

We added noggins (and junction box) for the staircase chandelier, as that was planned over a year ago, before the build started.

The ceiling joists downstairs are not quite the same:

What would be the best way to add timber?

This is part of the mounting instructions for the chandeliers (some are round, the dining one is rectangular, but there is a steel beam across the room, perfect to bolt on to)!
Again noggins or a sheet of formply screwed to the bottom flanges of the I-joists between furring channels.

So still able to screw to joists with formply or cut holes for noggins?
Related
26/04/2024
Choosing lighting pendants that will comply with standards

Lighting + Lighting Design

I am trying to find lighting for kitchen, dining areas but looking online, I don’t know if there are specific details I should be looking at to make sure any lights I…

7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

23/02/2024
Am I too heavy for the roof cavity?

General Discussion

Firstly, if your house is still under builder's warranty (10 years in Victoria) you should have no need to crawl into roof space but let the builder handle it, unless you…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum