Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Downlights

Page 2 of 4
You can get different colours temperatures for CFL downlights. The higher the colour temperature the cooler the light. From www.neco.com.au, “Warm White (2700k) is most suited to lounges and Cool White (4000k) is better suited to kitchens and hallways.” Also keep in mind that dimmable CFLs do not change in colour temperature to a warmer colour, as is the case with incandescent lights.
Generally, using 240v downlights [as opposed to 12v] impacts substantially on energy ratings as they are open to the roof space to allow the heat generated to dissapate and insulation cannot cover the units. Some products are sold with a 'cover' but it would still be worth while checking them out fully from this aspect before making a final decision.
I've purchased two four packs of low-power compact fluoro downlights from Bunning, and each pack of four cost me $39.95 including the globes.

I intend to fit these in my home theatre room that I'm in the middle of renovating.

The globes are wide angle...

Does anyone have any advice on placement of downlights. A rule of thumb I heard about was dicing the room into a 2m x 2m grid, then placing a downlight in the middle of each grid square. This sounds fine for normal downlights, but surely for wide-angle lights, there would be limitations. Like keeping them away from the screen...

Intended usage is to keep them heavily dimmed during the movie showing...

Any ideas?

MikeG
Oh, one other thing - the room I'm renovating has a couple of traditional short-tuble flouro units - should I keep these, or replace them? Would the compact fluoro downlights (8 of them) be enough for high light situations like reading (this will be a dual use room, home theatre & lounge in one).

MikeG
Hi Guys,

I have found these Down lights on ebay, they look like the same ones you would but from NECO. They seem quite affordable but I'm not sure if I'm missing something about them.

I have been looking at installing the GU10 downlight and then install the new 11w globe one at a time as they sell for $30-$40 each!!

Can anyone help tell me what difference these are to the NECO ones.

Thank you.
Sorry I forgot to post the link to the down lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lighting-Energy- ... dZViewItem

and Invironment ones http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4x-Megaman-11w-C ... dZViewItem
First_Timer_Ray
I paid a visit to Beacon lighting today and asked about the compact fluorescent globes for downlights.
The lady showed me 2 alternatives...
1) Purchase a standard downlight (MUST BE 240V, NOT 12V) for approx. $10 and replace the globe with a megaman(?) CFL approx. $20. Total cost $30 per light. In this case, the globe has the glass cover similar to a downlight, so it is all flush with the ceiling.
2) Purchase a pre-packaged CFL downlight kit for approx $20 ea. In this case, the CFL globe (spiralish) sat in the downlight housing flush with the ceiling, with a piece of round glass hanging approx 1-2cm from the ceiling that sort of diffused the light. These did appear slightly larger than a standard halogen downlight fitting.

Both instances looked very contemporary and sleek.

Moral of the story -
It isn't much more expensive to install CFL downlights to the regular halogen downlights, yet the savings will amount to hundreds - possibly thousands (considering the number we intend to install) in energy bills and bulb replacement costs.
We will now get our builders to hook up the 240V points, and we will purchase and get the CFL's installed after hand-over. Funny part is that the builder was charging $45 for each downlight fitting anyway - so with them costing $20-30 ea and a sparky in the family I think we'll be laughing

Ray.

Hello Ray,

What do you mean by "We will now get our builders to hook up the 240V points"? What will you get builder to do?

Is it easy to get downlights fitted after moving in?

I have my electrical appointment soon and want to know as much details coz I am planning to get 20-25 downlights fitted along with regular lighting so I can buy some nice light fittings and give it to sparky while he puts in other electrical items.

what about small spaces like toilet, bathroom etc? What would you have there? I was planning to upgrade from normal to a downlight but don't know what to do now if the plan is to get them fitted myself later.

Please advice.

Thanks
Sat
Hi Sat,
Sorry, I haven't checked in here for a while.
As far as the builder is concerned, we have 2 options.
One is to get them to put a fixed battern (normal globe) in each spot we want a downlight, then replace them with the downlight fitting after handover.
The other is to get them to only place the wiring to each spot we want a downlight, then fit them after handover.

Well, there is another option - and that is to get the builder to do all of the downlight fittings and change the globes after handover - which we are still debating if it is worth having it all finished before moving in, or doing it after...

Ray.
one clarification here
when the builder 'prewires' for downlights, they do not leave loose wire dangling from above, they need to finish it off with a batten fitting with a cowl shade. which means if we get our downlights done later it'll be soon after moving in. By doing it ourselves the greatest advantage is the choice of downlights.. cost may be just a few hundred less to start with but running costs will certainly lower with energy savers. I am a bit skeptical about the NEC energy savers as they do not have a showroom in Melbourne. one will have to always keep a stock of bulbs by mail order. I just prefer to shop locally as needed.
vp
Thank you both vp & Ray.

I will discuss these issues at my electrical appointment.

Any other suggestions/experiences most welcome.

Sat
Just checked what electriciansPrivate - to be done after handover) are charging for downlights-
$25 to place in an existing batten (volume buider $40)
$35 to prewire and place downlights (volume builder $55+40=$95)
One electrician was willing to access the area between the 2 storeys but mentioned that it can be difficult at times.
we have decided to get prewiring for areas with no access (ground floor)
and just go for standard batten in the first downlight spot in area of access to roof.
This is with volume builder M'kon
It may be a different situation with private builder though.
-VP
Hi All,

I'm going to bring this thread back into the limelight because I found these:

http://www.superlight.com.au/dimdl.html

CFL downlights that (apparently) work on an existing dimmer switch!?
Thanx for your post everyone
And cheerz to muzzman for his latest post.

ive been looking for dimmable CFLs

Ive just emailed them and asked if they are c-bus compatible as we want to use c-bus and run all lights at 75% to help save more power.

Cheerz

Man, Im so suprised that lighting hasnt picked up more over the last few years. Its actually quite hard to find a good solution thats energy efficient and flexible.
Quote:
For those wanting a dimmable compact fluorescent downlight, the Megaman GU10 11 Watt Dimmable Bulb will be available late March 2007.

my head hurts reading this thread!
im lost on the whole downlight thing

lighting shop just recommended fozz downlights to us today
but said you cant have dimmers....???

has anyone actually got dimmable cfl downlights?
particularly in WA?
Haven't gotten around to organizing lights yet (although when I do I am planning to empty the HS Reflections Catalog - http://www.hsreflections.com.au/ and recommend that you give them a look in Malaga) as opposed to just putting downlights everywhere.

The Megaman website mentions that dimmable CFLs are availabe - http://www.megaman.cc/global/technology/dimmerable.php

Quote:
Being relentless and persistent to break new grounds has allowed MEGAMAN® to successfully overcome CFLs that were once non-dimmable. The DIMMERABLE is the latest innovation from renowned German brand. Being the world's most advanced linear dimming CFL, the MEGAMAN® DIMMERABLE allows users to choose between full lighting or dimmer atmospheric lighting with a dimmable range from 10% to 100%.
Product Characteristics:
Plug-and-Dim
Smooth dimming on ordinary dimmer switch
10% to 100% dimmable range
Delivers 10,000 hours of lamp life
Colour Temp. available: 2700K to 6500K
Compact in size with wide selection: CANDLE, CLASSIC, GLOBE, TUBULAR, GU10 and PAR reflector series
Replaces conventional bulbs and halogens

Good luck with your search and let us know how you go!

Cheers
Beau
http://thecambridge.blogspot.com
looks like ordering online and getting them delivered
might be the go at the moment
from either of the links provided previously by others
http://www.superlight.com.au/dimdl.html
http://www.neco.com.au/product.asp?pID=638&cID=47

ps Ill also check that store out, looks like nice lights
back to this thread again ......heads continues to hurt

so we got our quotes back....
halogen downlights (nearly throughout interior of house) is $1400
cheaper than with nondimmable cfl downlights
dimmable downlights if purchased online only will add additional $6 per light
on top of this as well
so I am all for helping the environment definately
but is it worth it to go with the cfls at this time??
they did say the cfl ones recommended didnt give off the heat usual
ones do therefore safer in roof space which is important
oh I just saw this (someone mentioned before)

dimmable cfl....can only go with normal light switch not dimmer dial type

and • brightness can be adjusted from 100% to 66%, 33% or 5% with consecutive switching OFF/ON action
• extra 20% energy savings for each step-down dimming

sounds confusing,switching light off/on to dim.....
Bec.

A suggestion. Rather than go in and hit the whole of house go through one area at a time and design lighting to suit that area. It may cost more in the long run, however you open up numerous options.

We have just moved in and admittedly have an advantage with sparkys on tap to us. However we are doing the family room / kitchen area out in downlights and low energy downlights in some spectacular effects.

Next is the stairwell which we will use LED with different colour effects depending on the day etc.
bec where did you get your quotes from and how many downlights for
Related
You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum