Join Login
Building ForumOld Home Restoration / Renovation

Making an old house airtight and insulating.

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an insulation and airtight strategy for an old BV.

I live in an 1950’s brick veneer house that is in need of some love. It’s got no insulation, no building wrap, pine floor boards and steel casement windows. It loses heat in winter very quickly and becomes a sauna in summer, as well as being very loud from traffic noise.

My aim is to make as comfortable and as energy efficient as possible. I will be taking all the internal plaster off because it’s in pretty bad shape and this will give me the best chance at properly air sealing it.

I’m looking for any advice from anyone who has taken on a similar project or knows the best way to tackle this.

I was thinking of insulalting the stud frame with a high R value and noise reducing batt (while maintaining an air gap between insulation and brickwork) and then an internal vapor permeable airtight building wrap, such as Intello. All new high efficiency windows with close attention made to air sealing to the internal wrap. Also, an open cell spray foam insulation under the floor and bulk insulation in the roof.

If anyone has any recommendations I’d love to hear them.

Dave.
you dont mention where you live
spray foam under floor will be a challenge
aussieta
you dont mention where you live
spray foam under floor will be a challenge

I live on the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria.
There are a few companies that do spray foam around Melbourne. I have good clearance under the floor for access. I thought spray foam would be a good all in one insulator and air barrier.
Related
1/05/2024
House Designs making use of wide (~ 20m) frontage

Building A New House

Yes, Im following your Lindfield build, looks amazing.

14/03/2024
Junk left behind in an old house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Hi, just discovered all these junks left behind under the floor. Could any of these be asbestos? Best to leave as it is or clean up? Thank you for your thoughts

15/12/2023
Old historical factory renovation - Damp Proof and Flooring

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi all Am new to this forum. I want to get some ideas/info about how to manage an 80 year old factory restoration to convert to a residence. The factory floor is concrete…

You are here
Building ForumOld Home Restoration / Renovation
Home
Pros
Forum