Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

General cost of laying tiles

Page 1 of 1
Have two questions

1. Currently laying porceline tiles over a 19 m square kitchen. I have purchase tiles already. I only require a labourer or tiler to lay the tiles.What would be the approx cost for the job?

2. Is it advisable to lay tiles over existing tiles or to strip the tiles and start again over a wooden floor base?
I would be ripping up the old tiles first, then laying new cement sheet down, then laying your new tiles.
Costwise, I wouldn't have a clue
Always done my own.
I just had some tiled layed in my house- standard size of 300mm * 300mm, which was $40.00 per square meter including all materials and labour.
Newhomebuilder, did that include the cost of tiles?
you can tile over existing tiles providing it is a good flat surface, however, I agree with Neil in ripping up the old tiles first. There are adhesives for tiling over timber floors but they are exspensive and you will nearly always get cracks. As Neil said, fit 'Ceramic Tile Underlay' sheeting and tile over it. The sheeting is nailed and glued to you timber floor.
sehnaz1, that price of 40.00 does not include the actual cost of the tiles, only to lay them and the cost of grout, trims etc.
Thanks for the advise guys.I have just today ripped out the existing tiles in the kitchen leaving the old floor boards. Does anyone know the approx cost of ceramic tile underlay?

Also, i am thinking of tiling the kitchen myself with the help of a couple of friends, none of us tradesman.Any tips?
sehnaz1
Thanks for the advise guys.I have just today ripped out the existing tiles in the kitchen leaving the old floor boards. Does anyone know the approx cost of ceramic tile underlay?

Also, i am thinking of tiling the kitchen myself with the help of a couple of friends, none of us tradesman.Any tips?

It's about 30 dollars a sheet at bunnings. I bought some just before Christmas. Get the 7mm cement sheet if you can as it's stiffer, better base than the 5mm. You should probably get the wet area stuff if you can, as a bit of insurance. I know it's not strictly a wet area, but it's always a good idea to have better than you need.
Just read that this form of underlay contains a crystalline silica which is considered by some countries as cancer causing.....!!!This is a worry. They are recommending cutting this underlay outdoors...!

Think i might give this underlay method a miss.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

This info comes from a PDF from James Hardie on "how to use ceramic tile underlay".
sehnaz1

There is only one type of proper ceramic tile underlay which is 6mm thick. A 1800x900mm sheet is about $18. You will regret it if you don't use this type of underlay under the tiles. Its just a type of fibro essentially, cut it with a fibro cutter.
Just think how many people cut and use MDF and its banned in most countries!!!
newhomebuilder
I just had some tiled layed in my house- standard size of 300mm * 300mm, which was $40.00 per square meter including all materials and labour.

So would it be reasonable to suggest that $40.00 is the average cost to lay tiles (that is to hire a professional tiler)?
Hello Stewie,I agree with the others on the method to be used on your project.(old tiles pulled up and cement sheet underlay used for new tiles)The $40 per metre sounds about right here as well but that is for labour only.Glue,grout,spacers,etc are supplied in this area.Regards Terry.
sehnaz1
Just read that this form of underlay contains a crystalline silica which is considered by some countries as cancer causing.....!!!This is a worry. They are recommending cutting this underlay outdoors...!

Think i might give this underlay method a miss.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

This info comes from a PDF from James Hardie on "how to use ceramic tile underlay".

I've used it in my bathroom and really don't consider it a propblem. It only becomes a problem if the silica dust is released by cutting with things like saws etc. If you cut it with a proper cutter, there is no dust. I would still wear a mask to be on the safe side. The manufacturers list all the correct warnings and precautions that should be followed.
Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

21/02/2024
Oil under boards before laying

General Discussion

I'm about to put down some Merbau. Is it necessary to oil underneath the boards before laying?

1/03/2024
Waterproofing slab before laying floor buttons....

General Discussion

Hey There. No problems re jumping in. My original question was "should I have waterproofed" the concrete slab before putting batons down. We have been told we should…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum