Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

White risers for new stairs

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I am looking for ideas of how to make white riser to my laminated stairs.
My newly built house is almost ready for us to move in and we have decided to do the flooring for the upstairs and the stairs after handover.
Our builder leaves the stairs as shown on pictures below.

We are now thinking that the white risers will look better on our stairs but the laminate installer we spoke to all say that they don't do that and if we want it we should prepare the risers by ourselves before laminate installation.

Now, does anyone know an easy and quick way to make the white raisers (as we won't have much time between handover and laminate installation) ?
I have seen some pictures of ready risers which can be glued to the stairs but I don't know where to buy them.
Also, can we use the existing risers and just paint them white? if anyone had done it, would love

Any ideas?

nada17
Any ideas?

What is getting laminated? What treads are you using? To me, everything could just be painted, including the solid balustrade, and you could put timber treads on, or even carpet both the treads and the risers.
arcadelt
nada17
Any ideas?

What is getting laminated? What treads are you using? To me, everything could just be painted, including the solid balustrade, and you could put timber treads on, or even carpet both the treads and the risers.

well, we have already decided that it is going to be laminated floor upstairs including the stairs. so no carpets and such.
as far as i understand they usually do fully covered laminated stairs as shown below.

we on the other hand want to do laminated treads with white risers as shown below

nada17
well, we have already decided that it is going to be laminated floor upstairs including the stairs. so no carpets and such.

we...want to do laminated treads with white risers as shown below

Sorry, my misunderstanding - I wasn’t thinking laminated timber floors, but laminate like you would use for joinery.

Yes, based on what you have pictured, extend the laminated floors onto the tread and then just paint the risers.

nada17
as far as i understand they usually do fully covered laminated stairs as shown below.

Are you sure those pictures are laminated timber and not real timber.
arcadelt
Yes, based on what you have pictured, extend the laminated floors onto the tread and then just paint the risers.

Are you sure those pictures are laminated timber and not real timber.

I don't think that painting laminated floor is a good idea. We asked the suppliers, they didn't recommend.

I don't know if the pictures show laminated floors or timber floors. I just wanted to show the concept: one has laminate on riser, the other one has white riser. I am trying to find out the easiest way to the that white riser.
nada17
I don't think that painting laminated floor is a good idea. We asked the suppliers, they didn't recommend.

I didn’t suggest to paint the floors, but just the risers, which look like they have been fabricated out of MDF or something similar.
Ah, I see! that was my first thought. I am just concerned how it is going to look. that's why I am asking if anyone did something similar

I was thinking of putting something over MDF just to make it smooth and paining it.
nada17
I was thinking of putting something over MDF just to make it smooth and paining it.

MDF can be easily sanded smooth, but wear a mask when doing it. Use and appropriate undercoat and you can paint it any colour you like. Also, unless it is moisture resistant (which I doubt in that application), make sure to keep moisture away during the life of the house and it will last a long time.

Are the stairs accessible from underneath? If so, you could alternatively ask your joiner to provide finished laminate boards to be secret-screwed to the risers from the back side. They can come in thousands of colours and finishes, including high gloss or textured even.
arcadelt
nada17

MDF can be easily sanded smooth, but wear a mask when doing it. Use and appropriate undercoat and you can paint it any colour you like. Also, unless it is moisture resistant (which I doubt in that application), make sure to keep moisture away during the life of the house and it will last a long time.

Are the stairs accessible from underneath? If so, you could alternatively ask your joiner to provide finished laminate boards to be secret-screwed to the risers from the back side. They can come in thousands of colours and finishes, including high gloss or textured even.

Thank you!
I am a bit concerned with moisture but I think it would only be exposed to moisture during cleaning.

I am not sure though how they are are going connect the laminate to the riser. they will probably use some transition. not sure if it looks as good as I imagine

will have to discuss it with the floor installer
Hello,

I realise this is an old thread but thought I would see whether you succeeded in doing the laminate timber tread and painting your MDF risers? Or did you do something to the riser before painting?

Thank you!
Related
17/08/2023
Stairs gap

Building A New House

Got my stairs designed like this with 250mm Gap marked below. Gap is bec of 2 steps added between two landing area…

10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

18/01/2024
Stairs

Renovation + Home Improvement

not sure how much but a “repair” should be ok, what ever that is technically

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros