Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Subfloor and re-stumping problem

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I have been notified by the property manager of an investment property of the following...

The tenant at your property notified me of a concern that they had about the floor under the ensuite shower. I have taken a look at it by going under the house. There has been some repairs here previously where a beam has been reinforced but the repair is failing. As the shower has continued to leak, the repair has continued to rot. This is the reason the tiles have all cracked in the ensuite shower and to some extent in the shower. If nothing is done here, the floor in this area and in the hallway will slowly collapse and cause further structural damage.

Please message me for a building inspection report done after the above notice if you need to find out more.

Next, I have received the following quote from a builder. I am seeking help in this forum to provide an independent assessment of the fairness of the quote in terms of work required and cost.

---
Quote:
To remove all rotted timber from walls and floor sub floor on En Suite, Bathroom and adjacent Hallway.

The two floors of the rooms are thin concrete over a rotted out hardwood deck. Both floors have sunk about 30 mms new joists were inserted at some stage and have been cut down to 70 mm from 100 mm in height.

The Bearer is rotted and the ends of the joists as well. Studs in the wall and bottom plates will be damaged which we will see when the walls are removed.

I propose to remove both floors ,the En suite shower base and walls and the two walls of the Bathroom, shower and along the bath.

The Bathroom vanity is on legs and can stay in place as it is supported off the floor.

The En suite vanity and toilet will have to be removed and saved for re use.

The walls will have new timber fixed where needed. Both floors will have new joists and bearers fitted. A new shower base will supplied and fitted in the En suite with walls replaced in cement sheet, water proofed and retiled.

The Bathroom shower walls will receive the same treatment with the inclusion of the shower base being water proofed and tiled. The bath walls to be re plastered and tiled.
(If possible the concrete shower base will be left intact as it is connected to the bath and hob which appear to be holding in the original position)

Initially there will be a wreck out of all rotted timber and wall coverings, shower base etc and all taken to the Tip.

A Plumber will disconnect and remove the En suite toilet and water lines and wastes to the vanities.

Carpenter will replace all rotted timber and make good with new timber.

The Tiler will sheet the walls and bases and fix tiles. Return to grout and silicone. Waterproof membrane will be applied to walls and bases prior.

Two new shower screens to be supplied and fitted

Plumber to return to re instate toilet, vanity wastes, waterlines and tap ware. New tap sets to be supplied and fitted for both showers.

Site to be cleaned and rubbish tipped.

Both rooms to be repainted to match as there is usually damage to walls at the wreck out stage.

Carpenter – two men – ten days $12,100.00 inc GST
Plumber $1,500.00 inc GST
Tiler $2,800.00 inc GST
Painter – repair and paint $880.00 inc GST

Materials
Chipboard etc $550.00 inc GST
Tiles – Floor and walls $1,090.00 inc GST
Shower Screens x 2 $1,518.00 inc GST
Tap Ware $240.00 inc GST
Water proofing x 2 $680.00 inc GST

TOTAL $21,358.00 inc GST

---

This matter is rather urgent as the report has classified the problem as a safety hazard with the tenant living in the property.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
I would say it would be expensive but I am surprised the tiler is that expensive. Can't they use cheaper tiles. Could you provide the tiles and tap ware
Good luck sounds terrible
Thank you for your encouragement.
I have received a breakdown of labor and materials to be deployed in a proposed schedule of work as follows, for a total price point of about 18k. Please help review.

Day 1-Day 3

· Removal of shower screens in bathroom.
· Removal of toilet in ensuite.
· Remove all flooring from ensuite and shower alcove.
· Remove all tiles and plaster coverings from wall in shower alcove and ensuite area.
· Remove all tiles and flooring from bathroom area.
· Remove all wall coverings in plaster from shower area in bathroom and adjoining hallway wall.
· Remove all plaster on hallway side of hallway wall which backs onto bathroom and ensuite
· Cover hallway polished floorboards and master bedroom with protective sheets to prevent damage when disposing of rubble
· Raising or jacking up of flooring
· Replacement of Damaged Bearer
· Replacement of damaged floor joists
· Replacement of any damaged wall studs, bottom plate of wall.
· Adjustment to shower alcove as necessary to allow for 1200x 900 mm shower base
· Use of supporting acro props when necessary to support wall
· Replacement of damaged stump(s)
· Installation of chipboard flooring.
· Installation of cement sheet flooring.
· Waterproofing as required
· Installation of poly marble shower base in bathroom and ensuite

Labour-2 Carpenters
Plumber-
Skip for waste

Materials-
· Concrete stumps.
· Approximately 10 metres of Bearer( 90x70mm)
· Approximately 48 metres of wall stud ( 90x 35 )
· Approximately 40 metres of floor joist( 90x45mm)
· 4 sheets of yellow tongue chipboard flooring( 1200mmX900mm)
· 4 sheets of cement sheet flooring 1800x1200x6mm
· Allowance for fixings (nails, glue, etc)
· Waterproofing – 2 coats
· Poly marble shower base for ensuite (1200 mm x 900 mm)
· Polymarble shower base for bathroom( 900mm x 900 mm)
· Hire of acroporops

Day 4

· Lining of hallway wall, ensuite wall and bathroom wall with new plaster.
· Checking of ensuite shower tap, bathroom shower tap for leaks and serviceability
· Realigning of shower base drains
· NOTE- Plumber to attend in morning before walls are covered

Materials-
· Wet area plasterboard- for bathroom/ ensuite. allowance is 6 sheets ( 1200x 3600mm)
· Standard plasterboard 10mm( 1200mmx 3600mm). Allowance is 4 sheets
· Plaster cement and finishing materials.
· PVC pipe, copper pipe, plumbing materials, new tap sets

Labour-
Plumber- allowance
plasterer allowance

Day 5

· Return of Plasterer to finish top coat of joins

Labour-
Plasterer

Day 6 and Day 7

· Tiling of bathroom walls(shower area)
· Tiling of bathroom floor
· Tiling of ensuite floor
· Tiling of ensuite walls(shower area)
· Grouting of bathroom walls( may need to return following day)
· Possible grouting of bathroom and ensuite floor( may need to return the following day)

Materials-
· Johnson white wall tiles( 150x 150mm) 10 m2
· Johnson white floor tile ( 300 x 300mm) 8 m2
· Tile glue , grout etc.

Day 8

· Installation of new shower screen in bathroom
· Painting of walls in hall , ensuite and bathroom

Materials-
· New shower screen for ensuite.
· New shower screen for bathroom .
· Paint and materials.

Labour

Shower screen installer-
Painter

Day 9

· Reinstall toilet

Labour

Plumber -
Related
7/10/2023
Nailing masonite underlay to plywood subfloor

General Discussion

Jimbo73 I would use heaps of adhesive on each sheet and screw rather than nail. use as many as you like cheers Simeon

29/10/2023
Need Subfloor Advice for a new build!

Building A New House

XCEM Alpha flooring seems to relatively new and I could not found any reviews. Have you or someone you know have used it and would recommend over other subfloor options?…

7/04/2024
XCEM Alphafloor vs Hebel Power Floor Subfloor option

Building A New House

Would also like an opinion from anyone that has used xcem over hebel for floors. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum