Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Identify our floorboards

Page 1 of 1
I'm wanting to know what kind of wooden floorboards we have in our house, built in 1947 in Brisbane. The floors have been covered since it was built and we've been pulling up layers of lino and carpet over the past year. See pics, most of the house is quite a dark wood, except for the main bedroom which is an extension built in the 70's, the wood there is much lighter (pic includes red rug and ugg boots). Thanks

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/simna ... Home%20One
Post the photos up here so we don't have to go to a third party site and wait while the pictures load...
This one

looks like Cypress Pine to me, the others maybe brushbox???

Stewie
Thanks, figured out how to do it

I spoke to a sander today and he said they'll be able to tell the type of wood after sanding. Currently there is too much dirt and grime. I hope to have the house sanded sometime this year and want to use a penetrating oil finish, does anyone have any feedback on an oiled floor?
15 years ago I build my own house and put down redgum flooring.
I then used organoil hard burnishing wood oil and burnished it in with a highspeed
polivac which I hired.Fantastic.After 15 years,not showing any signs of wear,and I doubt
it will ever.I floodcoated the floor and let it soak in,then burnished it with the polivac with a red scrubbing pad.
Unlike any form of polyuethranes,it isn't a surface coating,but is in the timber.
Any scratches I just rub a bit of the oil and they blend in.
I have since bought my own polisher and just go over the dry floor with a lambswool pad about once a year
and it looks like new again.
As per what oldchippy is saying. Tung oil is another that more of the floor finishing guys are using these days. As with organoil ,it penetrates into the timber and unlike a coating like Polyurethane which merely coats the surface, it lets the timber breathe. A few of my clients have done this with their floors and swear by it.

Stewie
must add,the only down side to it is the time factor.
I had to let it dry for a week before finally buffing it.
Not to say I couldn't walk on it with socks after a day
or two but it takes a long time to dry to the point of
buffing,but WOW what a beautiful natural finish.
Thanks for the comments

I'm definitely going ahead with the penetrating oil finish but not for a couple more months (too much to organise when the house is full of furniture!). The more I read about an oil finish the more it excites me.

I will post the "after" pictures when done and let you know what type of wood we actually have.
Sanding is finally underway! The guys started today and will finish it off tomorrow, with Lobasol 2k oil.

Verdict: we have Jarrah!! Also a little QLD spotted gum down the hall (that used to be an outside porch). The back corner extension with the lighter wood was not able to be identified.

The jarrah is coming up beautifully, with red and pink shades I never would have imagined under all those layers of grime. Love it!
Related
4/12/2023
Miners Cottage floorboards

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi All New to the forum and looking for some advice, has anyone else renovated an old miners cottage in or around Ballarat and been able to identify the flooring? We…

24/04/2024
Ensure rubber gym floor is flush to floorboards in hallway?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, looking to have a gym in a new build. Planning to install some sort of rubber mat flooring (on concrete) i.e. Asking the builder to not do floorboards in the gym…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum