Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Skirting boards question

Page 1 of 1
So it turns out that choosing the skirting profile was the easy bit. Now I have a question on the thickness of skirting boards.

From reading around, it seems that the standard thickness is 18mm. I want the skirting to sit flush with my door frames, so I went about measuring the door frames to see how thick the skirting should be.

It turns out that there are significant variations in depth depending on which door it is. I have depths ranging from 10mm to 20mm, though most of them sit at around 1.6mm.

How do people achieve a flush look with this much variation? Do they sand back the boards to the desired thickness, or are we just stuck with what's there?
Can't picture what your trying to explain!!.if you've got photos that would be better

Thanks hulk, I'll see if i can put some together.
Trixee, why not ask if they bevel them in towards the frames if they are sitting proud. If under I do not thing anyone will pay much attention.
AussieMark
Trixee, why not ask if they bevel them in towards the frames if they are sitting proud. If under I do not thing anyone will pay much attention.

Great idea, thanks Mark!
Hi All
Do we
need to take of skirting to lay tiles?
I am laying tiles post handover. I have noticed there is no gap between cornice and gyprock, it looks perfectly sealed.
I am worried once they take off the skirting to lay tiles and put it back there might be some gap?
Please advise

Related
22/04/2024
Clix flooring and skirting boards gaps.

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Is this acceptable in a new house build. Floors where installed by builder. Already chips in board and skirting is not flush

21/02/2024
Oil under boards before laying

General Discussion

I'm about to put down some Merbau. Is it necessary to oil underneath the boards before laying?

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum