Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Anyone actually have bamboo?

Page 1 of 1
Just researching bamboo flooring. Had decided on tiles throughout except for bedrooms, play room and sitting. (They'll be carpet, Ash.
) Now I'm thinking of bamboo instead of the tiles.
I have found a bit of info but does anyone actually have bamboo? Or know of anyone with bamboo? If so, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jo
I don't have bamboo, but I do have sample. One thng I can say is that it is very hard. It's very difficult to dent the surface. I think there may be more than one way to put the bamboo floor boards together, so check this first.

I don't like the look of bambo, so won't be using it, but if you like or don't mind the look then appears to be a hard wearing surface.
Thanks Casa,

The durability is what interests me. I like floorboards but had to rule them out. Sixty kilo special needs dog that lives inside.
He would just destroy them. Then thought about bamboo mainly because of the durability aspect.

It's hard when you can't see or get feedback on "lived in" bamboo floors if that makes sense. I think it'll look good as a contrast with the carpet as well. Also really interested in the sustainability aspect of bamboo. Very friendly product. God, I'm impressing Yak and Ash, I just might get lucky!!

Jo
joles
. God, I'm impressing Yak and Ash, I just might get lucky!!

Jo

In your dreams, girl!

Ash.
Your dog should be fine, just don't get a pet panda.
Quote:
Also really interested in the sustainability aspect of bamboo. Very friendly product.
God, I'm impressing Yak and Ash, I just might get lucky!!

It's not that sustainable IMO - takes lots of energy to make it into a floorboard.

As for lucky -
Hang on Steve,
I thought it was considered quite environmentally friendly as bamboo is only 3 years to renew after harvest. I understand that there is energy use involved in making the floorboard but there would be for any option. Tiles, vinyl. I've got to have something, what is most environmentally friendly for hallway, kitchen, living, dining?

My head is going to explode!!!!

Jo
Yes it does grow very fast, but it needs to be prunded to a pulp, washed, then re-glueed together and with some brands there is some question about it's source - ie was slave labour used to harvest it, did it get planted in the place of some other forest etc.

It's a renewable option, - you just need to ensure the source is a good one.

This article suggest a couple of other products.

http://www.greenhomeguide.com/index.php/knowhow/entry/802/C220

Steve
I've read that bambo is a very sustainable material as it is very quick to grow and once harvest, they dont have to plant again as it starts sprouting out from where it was cut!?

i could be wrong tho
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum