Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Flooring advice

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

We are busy looking at renovating our main bedroom, which includes painting (ceiling, walks and skirting) as well as laying down timber flooring.

Obviously it makes sense to first paint (ceiling, walls then skirting) before laying down new flooring, which is what we going to do.

I don’t have any ideas when it comes to flooring, so I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction?

In terms of flooring, we looking for something that is relatively easy to install myself, not too expensive and perhaps a colour / style which will go with our walls / trimmings(white walls with white high gloss skirting and trimmings).

Any advice or starting point for me?

Cheers,
Robbie
so...white...pretty sure you can do any colour you want then. As to style, that would be subjective. What is the style of the rest of your house, what do you like (provincial, modern minimal, Scandinavian etc), will it go with the rest of your home.

As to installation, most of the wood flooring options are easy to install. Read up on the product/system, watch their videos on youtube and give it a crack. I can imagine though that tiling and carpeting might be a tad trickier as they require some experience to lay well.
Thanks for the advice..

With regards to the style of the house... i dont actually know what it is LOL. The house was built in 1985 (30 years old) and it has the slate tiling throughout (except the bedrooms, where there is carpet).

The window frames, skirting and doors all have that old brown varnished look with old brown copper door knobs (looks terrible!). We obviously trying to change all that brightening up the house with white and high gloss trimmings. We are also replacing the door knobs with stainless steel or chrome door handles, to give the house a more of a "modern" look.

As suggested above, i guess we just trying to give the main room (and eventually the rest of the house) a more "modern" look.

Any suggestions in terms of flooring?
whats your budget per square meter? That will probably define what is available to you
We had slate and jackhammered it up - if you decide to go down that route happy to give you some pointers! My first tip would be don't do it, but if you have to (like I did) expect it to be horrid!!

We swapped it for Bamboo which i absolutely adore!! Perhaps a darker colour bamboo for bedrooms? (I have the light colour and I love it for main areas but perhaps a little soulless for a bedroom?) A deep rich timber will add warmth to a bedroom more so than tiles and easy to lay yourself. Go for good quality strand woven cold pressed. It doesn't have to be expensive. You might take the skirting off before you lay it too, we replaced ours for around $3.50 a lineal m

Enjoy the reno's!
Thanks for the advice..

Re the slate, we have been told by a number of suppliers to keep the slate, as its actually very sought after and very expensive as well as quite a job to remove..so you might aswell keep it, buff it up, and get a flooring which compliments the slate.
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum