Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Hollow/Drummy Tiles - builder won't fix

Page 1 of 1
Hi

We had the builder supply and install our tiles (Perth Builder), however there were a number of hollow/drummy tiles about 100+ which we found. They said they have been replaced but we have found more tiles 38 which are hollow. The builder says they will not change them.

Does anyone know where we stand with them replacing the ones we have found?

Thanks
Guide to Standards and Tolerances has a section on that exact point. If you cannot convince the builder with the refernce to the S&T, try and find the reference to the issue in the corresponding Australian Standard (if you have issues finding the section PM me).

I had a few drummy tiles and I brought it to the builders SS's attention with a blunt fob off. Over time the grout started to fall away which isn't to the end of the world but it can cause the tiles to crack.

But 100, even 40 tiles is ridiculous!
That is just terrible service from the builder. I would not except it at all. They have to fix the hollow tiles or as mentioned above you will have problems down the track like cracked tiles and missing grout.

I can not believe builders treat home owners like this. I hope you have not paid them yet but by the sounds of the builders attitude you already have.

Craig
name and shame the builder
It was Ventura. The tiling company which they used got an independant tile inspector in who said that is not how he would teach his students to lay tiles. He said that we should be ok and that they won't crack. The tiling place they used gave us 4 boxes of tiles to keep. I won't hold my breathe as we already had one crack. Definately a huge let down on our build and because of the dramas and them not wanting to replace them, we won't build with them again or recommend them.
That is really dissapointing. You would think Ventura would tell his tiler to come back and fix or they will not give him any more future work, maybe the tiler and the builder had a fall out.
I would review them on google reviews and any other review website they belong too. It is such a shame I hope all works out for you. I personally would hire a tiler myself and get this fixed or wait to see if more tiles crack then fix them all at one go. All the best.
Related
10/09/2023
Hollow sounding new Hybrid flooring.

Renovation + Home Improvement

ShaneG We have been doing heaps of hybrid floors lately. The hollowness is caused by low spots in the slab or subfloor. No slab or particleboard floor is going to be…

9/05/2024
Tiles cracked anyway to fix?

Outdoor Living

how on earth did that happen? the tiles need to be replaced, I’d be checking the concrete slab too, either tile needs to be loose or the slab cracked I would think

6/02/2024
How to fix improperly secured rainhead?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

If the railhead is so poorly fixed it is also likely that the railhead is also non compliant, what about overflows and sealing railhead to the gutters?.

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum